Removing air scoops

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowaleed

Reaction score
Is it good idea to remove the air scoops to reduce weight or it’s important to let the air goes to the air box, I think there is alot of places that the air can escape from them, I don’t care how it will looks but i care to remove 2 kg from the bike and i care about preformance too.

I would say no effect on engine performance.....and there will be less drag.

Someone I know of that raced their VMax took off the lower radiator for weight savings. Not sure if he ran on the street like that though. Do you already have a lithium battery?

You could replace your motor mounts with some material that's lighter....
they're made out of iron. I think they weigh 15 lbs.

Thank you mark for your reply,
I do have the battery it’s 1 kg only, my bike is 295 kg ( 650 lbs) with full tank, I removed some parts like left engine cover and front light brackets and the lower bracket and radiator side covers, i saved 4 kg till now and looking to save more, i around have 12 kg to add for nitrous and air shifter and wheele bar and some extra things, that’s why i try to save weight as possible as i can and 2 kg from the air scoops will be useful.
Do you know any one make the motor mounts, and is it safe, I don’t want my engine drops at 150mph

I just checked and don't see solid mounts for VMAX 1700. There are several sources for 1st gen Delrin and aluminum mounts. I'd check those companies and see if they have solid mounts for 2nd generation. You're best bet is to contact these guys and ask about them getting a set for the second gen:

First gen solid motor mounts: http://exactrep.com/acatalog/--Aluminium-Solid-engine-mountings.---Exactrep-1999-65.html

solid-engine-mountings.gif

Sean Morley has aluminum mounts on his drag bike. They were custom made by a shop......I think it was through Tim Nash when his bike was at Gurued Gear being tuned. BTW his bike made over 200 HP on race fuel.

Thank you mark for your reply,
I do have the battery it’s 1 kg only, my bike is 295 kg ( 650 lbs) with full tank, I removed some parts like left engine cover and front light brackets and the lower bracket and radiator side covers, i saved 4 kg till now and looking to save more, i around have 12 kg to add for nitrous and air shifter and wheele bar and some extra things, that’s why i try to save weight as possible as i can and 2 kg from the air scoops will be useful.
Do you know any one make the motor mounts, and is it safe, I don’t want my engine drops at 150mph

Sean Morley has aluminum mounts on his drag bike. They were custom made by a shop......I think it was through Tim Nash when his bike was at Gurued Gear being tuned. BTW his bike made over 200 HP on race fuel.
I know his Battlestar, it’s a beast and he made a serious diet to it, 550lbs is awesome, I think with octane booster and timing and some new setup to my air box i will be close to his power( without nitrous ), but i’m not even close by weight, BTW BIG THANKS to Mr.Sean Morley he helped me many many times and he replied to me every time i asked him For any question, and it’s really a valuable advices, All the appreciation to you Mr.Sean

Does the cam covers holding any thing or it just for the look

Attachments

• 323CF74B-9003-4365-B9FC-FB32DCA21B41.jpeg
    323CF74B-9003-4365-B9FC-FB32DCA21B41.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 3
They don't hold anything....but they don't weigh anything either. I'd say less than a pound.

I found this mount inside, that’s why I thought it maybe support the cam to be well close, all of them with the mounts and bolts weight around 0.5 kilo, are you sure it will be ok if I remove it ?

Attachments

• 4685D893-EC58-4706-86F1-22E3F16F62EC.jpeg
    4685D893-EC58-4706-86F1-22E3F16F62EC.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 16
That’s really heavy, I still not found any one sell them lighter and safe, until now I removed around 12 pounds from unnecessary parts, this will equals everything I removed hehe

Gasoline weighs 6.3 pounds per gallon. You should be running with a gallon or less, and filling only when necessary.

Yes this will be more than 15 lbs saving+12 Lbs of my savings this almost 30 lbs, but still i need more, if you know any one can made the motor mounts please let me know.

thank you very much Mark for your help I really appreciate it.

How much do you weigh...? Losing 10 lbs. is free.......

Other things to consider:

Remove all body panels
Remove fenders, license plate mount, tail light
Remove lower radiator
Remove instrumentation, stock bars, risers, mirrors
Convert to chain drive
Magnesium wheels and narrow tires
Remove the shocks/convert to rigid mount suspension
Remove all lighting, turn signals, headlamp
Remove faux gas tank and electronic dash panel
Convert seat to a single pad
Convert gas tank to one gallon aluminum tank
Remove front brake and master cylinder
Remove handlebar - switch to clip on bars
Remove foot pegs, both rider and passenger - install rearsets
Remove exhaust system, switch to straight short drag pipes
Remove all SMOG equipment

How much do you weigh...? Losing 10 lbs. is free.......

Other things to consider:

Remove all body panels
Remove fenders, license plate mount, tail light
Remove lower radiator
Remove instrumentation, stock bars, risers, mirrors
Convert to chain drive
Magnesium wheels and narrow tires
Remove all lighting, turn signals, headlamp
Convert seat to a single pad
Remove handlebar - switch to clip on bars
Remove foot pegs, both rider and passenger - install rearsets
Remove exhaust system, switch to straight short drag pipes
Remove all SMOG equipment
Thank you for your reply, i’t really useful.
I’m 143 lbs unsuited.
Remove all body panels ( what do you mean ?)
Remove fenders, license plate mount, tail light (Done)
Remove lower radiator
Remove instrumentation, stock bars, risers, mirrors ( mirrors done)
Convert to chain drive ( I think there is only one guy do it and there is no reviews)
Magnesium wheels and narrow tires(17inch rear wheel with 4 kg save)

Remove all lighting, turn signals, headlamp ( done )
Convert seat to a single pad( i will see what can i do)
Remove handlebar - switch to clip on bars ( what weight save ? )
Remove foot pegs, both rider and passenger - install rearsets ( i will )
Remove exhaust system, switch to straight short drag pipes( hindle carbon is very light)
Remove all SMOG equipment ( what do you mean ? )

Body panels: anything covering up the bike or frame. I should add engine covers. Side covers are just under and aft of the seat. There may be other plastic covers or even engine covers. (I have a 1st gen and it has those)

Cancel my comment about clip on bars. Replace it with: "Swap stock handlebar for Carbon Fiber handlebar" as Clip ons may increase weight.

SMOG equipment is EPA mandated emissions control items. Air canister, PCV valve, hoses (if present). Some bikes even have catalytic converters in the exhaust system. Not sure what your model has. There used to be 49-state motorcycles and California only editions to comply with emissions. I'm sure 2nd gen is 50-state certified, which would mean there would be some emissions devices.

Body panels: anything covering up the bike or frame. I should add engine covers. Side covers are just under and aft of the seat. There may be other plastic covers or even engine covers. (I have a 1st gen and it has those)

Cancel my comment about clip on bars. Replace it with: "Swap stock handlebar for Carbon Fiber handlebar" as Clip ons may increase weight.

SMOG equipment is EPA mandated emissions control items. Air canister, PCV valve, hoses (if present). Some bikes even have catalytic converters in the exhaust system. Not sure what your model has. There used to be 49-state motorcycles and California only editions to comply with emissions. I'm sure 2nd gen is 50-state certified, which would mean there would be some emissions devices.
Thank you very much for your help.

i already removed all unnecessary covers(cam, engine, chassis bolt cover..etc) and i’m planning to remove the air scoops too to save 4 pounds ( Mark said it will not effect air flow) but i will keep the fender and tank cover.

i will check about the cf bar and see if it worth, and i will check the if there is any emission devices.

the big weight save will be the engine mounts, about 10lbs saving and I think many of us would like to buy it if some one can do it in professional safe way.

Back