removing cush bearings in rear hub

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnelly317

Reaction score
Im getting my new kosman 17" rims anodized and I need to remove all steel.I have to remove the rear rim cush bearing how do I do this? Easiest to cut them out? The rim was originally for shaft drive and the previous owner had it converted for chaindrive. I will not need these seeing how I have a chaindrive how do I remove them

It sucks! I have only taken these out a couple of times. Can't remember if someone had a better way then shear brutality.

Like I said I will not need them so incould probably use a dremel maybe the grinder will cut threw rubber lol.. maybe stab it a couple times with my knife

maybe stab it a couple times with my knife

:rofl_200:
Thanks. Made me laugh for the first time today when I read that.

Wish I had a good answer for you. Take a look in the dampers and see if they bottom out flush in the hub. If there is a tiny bit of space behind them, it may be possible to use a blind bearing remover. If you can get a grip with that tool, you may be able to pop them out. I would try to heat the hub around the damper before you pull. You can rent a blind bearing remover from auto suppliers like autozone. When you return it, you get your money back (as long as it isn't destroyed)

:rofl_200:
Thanks. Made me laugh for the first time today when I read that.

Wish I had a good answer for you. Take a look in the dampers and see if they bottom out flush in the hub. If there is a tiny bit of space behind them, it may be possible to use a blind bearing remover. If you can get a grip with that tool, you may be able to pop them out. I would try to heat the hub around the damper before you pull. You can rent a blind bearing remover from auto suppliers like autozone. When you return it, you get your money back (as long as it isn't destroyed)

Hahahaha glad I made you laugh!!! Im gonna try a dremel drill style bit my dad might just take it into work and use a mill.

Broke the knife..... JK but no knife will touch that, that right there is some hard rubber!!! Dads gonna mill it out

Could you put grease in the center and find a shaft that fits in the center and drive the grease in behind the bushings to force them out. Have used this method to remove pilot bearing from end of crank shaft.

Hmmmm my work. But its like totally flush against the back.. might tap the center steel bushing and heat hub and use a slide hammer. My dad said he will bring it into work and ask some people too

prez (satriel666) did it. i don't remember how. he also vowed to never ever do it again.

I vow never ever to do it again! My dad fucked up my hub!!! The rear plate is very thin!!! We came up with milling the hole the rest of the way threw making a aluminum plug and putting it in lathe to even it out... and better ideas let me know because I almost started crying this AM

uploadfromtaptalk1362858873410.jpg

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Why don't you bore it through all? I see no problem with that... In that case you can punch it through with no major issues... You can start by opening a hole wider than the inner tube on the dampers and hammer it out with a punch chisel or get a bearing extractor, or a threaded M10 rod with a small washer and nut on the end and pull it. The whole would be drilled on the side you show above of course.

You meen all the way threw on all of them? And then plug all of them? Then throw it in lathe to smooth it all out? We were gonna do three so it wouldn't mess up any balancing and look any deferent
. My dad also said maybe make just a cover plate and put a chamfer on it so it blends in and just totally cover the area

prez (satriel666) did it. i don't remember how. he also vowed to never ever do it again.

Sir yes sir god dammit :)

I've made a special tool for that...do not be fooled that it helped a lot...it helped
a little bit...warming the aluminium also helps. They can survive almost everything
so removing them should be your last concern :)

Sir yes sir god dammit :)

I've made a special tool for that...do not be fooled that it helped a lot...it helped
a little bit...warming the aluminium also helps. They can survive almost everything
so removing them should be your last concern :)

Yes but they need to be removed for anodizing.. there can't be any steel or rubber... I have to get them out

You meen all the way threw on all of them? And then plug all of them? Then throw it in lathe to smooth it all out? We were gonna do three so it wouldn't mess up any balancing and look any deferent
. My dad also said maybe make just a cover plate and put a chamfer on it so it blends in and just totally cover the area

Yes all through... They will be covered by the rotor holder right? (i see 6 holes that look to be through all to hold the rotor side hub) so theres no chance that they'll slide sideways and they are press fitted so i don't see any problem with that. Taylormade wheels are made that way. the rim "dish" is "sandwiched" between the drive half hub and the rotor holder half hub that are crossdrilled and have through all bolts and yours look the same with those 6 holes.

Yea the six holes are for the piece that the bearing mounts into and the rotor bracket.. looking from aide it will be hidden because of rotor and caliper but looking close it wont be.. I will post a pic tomorrow you can see the line by the six holes.. that is what would actually be covered the rest you can see if u look past rotor.. but I like the idea your having

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

so how'd you get it out? also it looks like the outer bushing is still in there?

Outter bushing is still there... these are pictures of what my dad fucked up! Lol he used a mill but failed to measure and determine thickness of back side which is almost paper thin!!! But

I figured it out!!!!!!! So easy im mad but happy in the same way!!! Ill post a how to and I think well my dad deserves the D'OH award!!!!! You guys will be Suprised when I show you

Back