Removing H manifold covers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunrunner

Reaction score
I went to balance my carbs 1st time since ive had it and right side H manifold covers no prob removing but the left side is like they are glued . What would be the easiest way , have tried pliers and no luck ?:ummm:

Get a big Phillips that fits perfectly in the screw. Or a hand impact driver using hand to turn. If you use a hammer it'll break the cover and possibly damage the manifold.

#3 phillips. Worst case you will need to use vice grips and ruin the bolt and maybe scratch the cover (which is easily replaced). You can also drill the head and use an easy out too. We used to use the hammer impact driver which worked quite well until we tore out the rist manifold stud.

Sean

I only use JIS ( japanese industrial standard ) screwdrivers on my VMAX. I know most here don't need them, but I'm a tool nut anyway, so I'm slowly building a VMAX only toolbox just for my bike. I've never slipped on one single screw since buying them. They DO fit tighter than a standard phillips.

I only use JIS ( japanese industrial standard ) screwdrivers on my VMAX. I know most here don't need them, but I'm a tool nut anyway, so I'm slowly building a VMAX only toolbox just for my bike. I've never slipped on one single screw since buying them. They DO fit tighter than a standard phillips.

where do u pick them up?

I had the same issue with my L plate:
using a sturdy enough Philips and hammer you can get KIND of the same effect as an impact screwdriver. I just hit it straight on for several good shots, then started turning the screw driver slowly and it came out.
A dead blow hammer works better IMO. I have one with a brass end on it.

I don't think you are hearing us right. We did that for a long time but found out that the manifolds tend to bend and or crack. At first we noticed the bolt spacing was wider and the covers didn't fit quite right. Then on another bike the fitting tore right off the intake. Not a big deal if you have a welder and the extra time to jack with it but I still do not suggest to hit it at all.

Sean

I've used a #3 since I got the bike and my screws look like new and they always come off. Of course I have put a bit of anti-seize on the threads and seating surface too.

I bought a set # 53325A41 . approx. $22

Sorry to pick on the Dodge guys - I work on a fleet of 121 Dodges & I have the busted knuckles to prove it, so I get my digs in when I get a chance. :eusa_dance:

For those of you that do not want to buy more screwdrivers there is a cheap fix. Take spares of the #1, 2 and 3 phillips (we all have spares, right?) and carefully grind the tip flat, testing the fit as you go. This allows the tip to go deeper in the screw and fit tighter against the sides. Mark the handle in some way so you know which have been modified.

For those of you that do not want to buy more screwdrivers there is a cheap fix. Take spares of the #1, 2 and 3 phillips (we all have spares, right?) and carefully grind the tip flat, testing the fit as you go. This allows the tip to go deeper in the screw and fit tighter against the sides. Mark the handle in some way so you know which have been modified.

not a bad idea either

If the screw is damaged, there's another cheap fix:

- using a small hacksaw, slowly and carefully saw a straight groove across the head of the screw
- make sure you don't go too far!
- use a LARGE flat screwdriver to remove the screw

Make sure to replace the screw with a new one, and use the right Philips screwdriver from then on!

If the screw is damaged, there's another cheap fix:

- using a small hacksaw, slowly and carefully saw a straight groove across the head of the screw
- make sure you don't go too far!
- use a LARGE flat screwdriver to remove the screw

Make sure to replace the screw with a new one, and use the right Philips screwdriver from then on!

A dremel with a cut off wheel will do the same thing!

Do what I did, remove the crappy stock screws and install stainless steel ones with button heads that take an allen key. No more stripping heads again!!

my first "MOD" to my max was because I broke off one of those screws (seized)

I decided I was going to drill it out so I wacked the center of the screw with a punch and promptly broke the lug off of the manifold.

It gets even better, but I'm going to stop there.

The guys on the board here stepped up with parts for the repair.

my first "MOD" to my max was because I broke off one of those screws (seized)

I decided I was going to drill it out so I wacked the center of the screw with a punch and promptly broke the lug off of the manifold.

It gets even better, but I'm going to stop there.

Don't. Please! :biglaugh:

Back