Removing handlebar inserts for bar end mirrors.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Great to be back in the Vmax community after a bit of a break, I just got my dream bike, a red 2010 Vmax about a month ago! It only had 550 miles on her and I got a great deal, had to drive 7.5 hours to pick her up but it was worth every mile. I have had two other Vmaxes, a 86 and 93 as well as a BMW S1000rr and loved them all! Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself before I got to my question.

So my bike is fairly stock minus the 240 conversion and I am very happy with everything except the stock mirrors, they look like something Yamaha grabbed from an old 80s parts catalog, plus I can't see crap out of them. I bought a universal set of circle bar end mirrors from Revzilla but for the life of me can't get the damn factory inserts out!!! I went to the local Yamaha dealership just to make sure I wasn't missing something and they said you just need to "muscle" them out, there's no special trick. I asked them how long it would take them to do it and they said not sure, could be 30-90 minutes at almost $50 per half hour!!! Any tips from you gentlemen and Vmax ladies that have removed your factory handlebar inserts for the end bar universal mirrors would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in central PA and the Vmax esp the gen 2 Vmax seems to be more elusive than a Bigfoot around here, I don't think I have seen another one in person around here, hit me up if you are local for a ride.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Congrats on the 2010.....550 miles, holy smokes brand new! You are going to love most everything about it except the frequent gas stops. It's a GREAT bike.

Those bar ends are not designed to come out, of course you've already discovered that. It has been done with heat and a slide hammer, but it's obviously a PITA.

I did something different that you might consider. I had the stock bar ends turned down to accept the mirrors. I've done this on both of my Gen 2's. It's worked perfectly for me.

Mark

bar ends.jpg

bar1.jpg
mirror.jpg

Last edited:
Mark,

Thanks a million, Yes frequent gas stops but I don't mind, I knew that came with the territory plus the looks you get at the gas stations are great.

I guess any competent machine shop can turn them down? I assume you just measure the width of the clamping attachment of the new mirrors and ask them to take that much off? How much did that cost if you don't mind (just asking because I don't have a clue about machining costs! Hahah). Your bike looks great, looks like I have the same mirrors.

Anyone else have any luck getting the inserts out or should I just go this route?

Thanks everyone and I'll post some pics when I get a few good ones.

The guy I use charges me $50. He's in PA.

Yeah any shop should be able to do it.

My bar-ends came straight out and I fitted Kuryakyn mirrors in their place.
HUmdjUs.jpg

i just moved all the controls in on the bars and clamped the mirrors right to the bars and kept the bard ends, had to shave off the little locator nub off the controls but could just as easily re drilled the holes

I could probably have new billet ones made for not much more then the $50? Not sure how much market there is on them but they look good.

Thanks a lot everyone. I wish they would come out but I don't feel like giving myself an aneurysm! Haha, guess I'll get them milled.

Thanks again for the help, Vmax forum has always been so helpful.

I too have a 2015 Gen 2 model, and shortly after buying it new, I decided I wanted to put some "vibranators" in the end of the bars, to reduce the buzzing sensation, which wasn't horrible but definitely noticeable. I had a Suzuki B-King previously, and the vibranators on it worked wonders, so I said what the heck. Ordered them, got them in the mail, proceed to step 1. Remove the original bar end inserts. Nope. No way, no how. Those MF'ers were not coming out without some kind of magic trick, and I wasn't about to get a BFH out and wind up breaking something, so I just gave up. Returned the vibranators for a refund, and ended up buying some of those foam rubber grip puppies that fit over the stockers and they work wonderfully. No need to go any further, and the stock mirrors don't bother me one bit. So I'm with you, when they put those suckers in there, it was for GOOD! Must have used liberal amounts of some kind of gorilla sealant!!!!! Yamabond most likely!!!!

Yeah, the bar ends come right off - no issues there.

We're talking about the threaded female insert inside the handle bar that the bar end attaches to.;)

Back