Repainted my 1997 VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deuce57

Reaction score
I really didn't like the silver on the bike, and after I saw my first yellow Max, I decided that was the color I would paint mine. Probably not the exact same color. Mine is Valspar "Gold Abundance," with purple to green changing accents. I also wanted a quarter fairing and settled on this one, even though it's got a 7" opening, think I made it fit the 5 3/4" headlight. I had to get a new headlight bucket that mounted on ears. This setup is actually nicer than I thought it would be. The ears are powder coated black and seem to be very strong.

I replaced the tail light, but I'm not sure I like this one. It looked better in the pictures, lol. I also wanted to get rid of the Cobras and Delkevic seemed to have the best quality for the price solution. Really doesn't sound much different, which surprised me. I'll see how it feels on the road.VMax 2.jpg

vmax painted 1.jpg

vmax painted 2.jpg

vmax painted 3.jpg

vmax painted 4.jpg

vmax painted 5.jpg

Nice. You painted it yourself?

If yes, how did you do the pinstripe on the wheel rim?

Also how come you did not delete the silver on the top half of the scoopd and top half of the side panels? Like what was done to the red 20th anniversary gen 1.

BTW you are aware of the 60th anniversary scheme, yellow and black used on the gen 2 (tribute to Kenny Roberts special unless someone corrects me)

Screenshot_20201129-214402.png

I like a yellow scheme and the majority black, minority white trim segmented stripe that was a early 1970's Yamaha factory competition scheme has always been a favorite. The TZ700/750 two-stroke 4 cyl bikes which dominated roadracing then were fearsome. The mile flat track bikes modified from those TZ700/750's were soon outlawed by the AMA, and provoked Kenny Roberts to comment, "they don't pay me enough to-ride that thing!"

The scallops in the black w/white outlines look good. Keeping a heritage color scheme, but with a different shape for the trim, instead of segmented parallelogram blocks, you chose scallops. I think I may still have a Yamaha athletic shirt with the segmented black stripe/white trim, somewhere. It probably dates to about 1974.

There was a Yamaha V-Max stripe kit available as a dealer-added accessory which resembles what you did. I don't think it was available for very-long.

The taillights look pretty-small, and I doubt they have any side-view where someone can see the tail light if they are approaching the bike from the side of the bike, like a bike crossing an intersection and someone is on the side street, intersecting your direction of travel. I never minded those large rectangular tail lamps of the Japanese bikes of the 1970's, because they lit-up well to show your position. I recall Suzuki began using two #1157 bulbs in their tail lights with those large rectangular red plastic faceted lenses, and they really made a difference in your bike's visibility at night. Plus, there was the safety factor of having one bulb continuing to function if the other bulb filament broke.

Kenny Roberts TZ750 flat tracker.01.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all! The wheel striping was bought on eBay. I'm not liking this particular brand. Even using a heat gun on them, they won't stay down correctly. They give just enough to do the bike with maybe one piece left over.

I didn't paint the aluminum on the scoops as I did want some silver showing through, however, I did think about painting them the same flip flop paint, and with the yellow YAMAHA letters, it might look cool.

Yes, I did paint it myself. With the cost of having someone do it, it just made more sense that way. I took auto paint and body in high school in the 70s, so I have been honing my skills over the past 45 years or so. Still not perfect, but I like it. I painted my Honda and Suzuki as well.

42478045754_72e7036e02_o.jpg

Attachments

• 49979957628_6d060de191_c.jpg
    49979957628_6d060de191_c.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 21
I've always considered the DOHC Honda 750F shape to be an iconic style. From the DOHC engine's shape, to the bodywork, the ducktail-flip at the end of the rear fender/seat, even the seat shape itself; the clocks and the short-bucket headlamp; the long gas tank, with the blended side-covers, it all just works. I had a '80 CB750F I bought several years from new, maybe 8K miles, and I sold it and bought a KZ1000 after I was schooled by a Porsche 911 while riding two-up.

I have a friend who has a CB1100F he bought new, it only has 4K miles on it. He usually rides a H-D big twin. It's beautiful, all of the CB750F, but more of it. The Yamaha FJ1100, Kawasaki GPZ1100, and the Suzuki GS1100E and 1100ES were all pretty-close at the time.

Your paint and the bikini fairing add to the lines, it looks well-executed. Did you know, those Com-Star wheels' rivets are titanium?

Yes it is. I should have read the side insignia.

I was mentioning the first of the 750/900/1100 series as being the style they all shared.

Easily mistaken. They're all virtually identical at 1st glance. And I just jumped on the opportunity for a gratuitous CBX shot illustrating that they too share DNA with the F line.

You motivated me to paint mine. First painting for me and doing my first pinstripes tonite. Ill post pics when it's assembled. Very nice work!

I have yellow paint + glowing powder for my next bike. I will not use stripes, yellow paint is great by itself.

Nice.. for a sec I "almost" rolled my eyes when I read "fairing" but yeah, that works. and that its for the bigger light?.. never woulda thought it, ..well, if you hadn't mentioned it.

Can ya tell me where ya got the new Yamaha sticker on rear fender? and what size please?

I ordered the (ahem) "original" according to someone on the bay, but clearly wrong size. In fact, I think its a newer sticker, and they cut the " fork emblem" off.

As the ratio isn't right.

Thanks,

T$

Back