Replace fork slide bush or guide bush?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastreit

Reaction score
I?m in the process of replacing leaking fork seals on my ?97. Everyone?s advice to use an impact wrench worked well. I?ve read what I can and it seems that most people are simply replacing the oil seals. But, the on-line service manual (under VMF Links) says the following on pg. 6-31:

In front fork assembly, be sure to use following new parts. Do not reuse them.
* Slide bush
* Guide bush
* Oil seal
* Dust seal
If you go back to the diagram on pg. 6-27, you can see the slide bush is #21 and the guide bush is #16. To make things more interesting, the VMX12E Supplement in the front calls the slide bush a ?slide metal? and the guide bush a ?piston metal?.

So, here are my questions:

1) Do I need to replace the slide bush and the guide bush in addition to the oil seal?
2) How would I order a guide bush for a ?97 when the ?97 microfiche doesn?t show it with a part number? ?99 and later have a number, but not earlier that I can see at http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx.
3) Can I substitute a later model-year guide bush for mine?

I talked to the local Yamaha parts guy, and he was clueless.

I?m in the process of replacing leaking fork seals on my ?97. Everyone?s advice to use an impact wrench worked well. I?ve read what I can and it seems that most people are simply replacing the oil seals. But, the on-line service manual (under VMF Links) says the following on pg. 6-31:

If you go back to the diagram on pg. 6-27, you can see the slide bush is #21 and the guide bush is #16. To make things more interesting, the VMX12E Supplement in the front calls the slide bush a ?slide metal? and the guide bush a ?piston metal?.

So, here are my questions:

1) Do I need to replace the slide bush and the guide bush in addition to the oil seal?
2) How would I order a guide bush for a ?97 when the ?97 microfiche doesn?t show it with a part number? ?99 and later have a number, but not earlier that I can see at http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/parts/home.aspx.
3) Can I substitute a later model-year guide bush for mine?

I talked to the local Yamaha parts guy, and he was clueless.

The later models will work... Go with the '99.

How many miles do you have on your bike Paul? Over 60 thou? If so I can see replacing the bushings but not for anything under that. Oil and dust seals only. Do you have a seal driver? I have one that you can use.

FYI: Silkolene fork oil is the bomb! Are you staying with stock springs? :confused2:

Let us know,
Chris

Only 20k miles. I'll skip the bushings then. They don't seem to show any wear, but I was reluctant to ignore the service manual.

No seal driver - thanks for the offer. I'll send you a PM to discuss.

Regarding Silkolene, I see lots of places that sell it online. Any recommendations on the best place? Stick with the standard 10w oil with this brand?

I went to Progressive two years ago, when the seals leaked last time. Any suggestions for making sure they last a little longer this time? The last job was by the dealer - I figure if their job only lasts two years, I might as well do it myself. Thanks!

Only 20k miles. I'll skip the bushings then. They don't seem to show any wear, but I was reluctant to ignore the service manual.

No seal driver - thanks for the offer. I'll send you a PM to discuss.

Regarding Silkolene, I see lots of places that sell it online. Any recommendations on the best place? Stick with the standard 10w oil with this brand?

I went to Progressive two years ago, when the seals leaked last time. Any suggestions for making sure they last a little longer this time? The last job was by the dealer - I figure if their job only lasts two years, I might as well do it myself. Thanks!

15wt would be my recommendation. Put some tape on the top of the tubes before slipping the seals over the edge to keep from cutting the seals. (it doesn't take much) Seals should last 3 - 4 years under average riding and maybe more. Keeping bugs off the forks helps a TON. Mine usually go bad from ratcheting the bike into the truck.:bang head: Factory seals are the best IMO.

I think I bought my Silkolene and seals from Ron Ayers for my SV this last fall.

Clean the forks out REAL WELL with some non-chlorinated brake clean so you could eat off them...

I'll follow your advice. Thank you.

Speaking of keeping the bugs off, I'll have to clean them more often, I guess. Any idea if I could mount the fork guards from later model Vmaxes onto my '97? Are there other options for protecting the forks?

I'll follow your advice. Thank you.

Speaking of keeping the bugs off, I'll have to clean them more often, I guess. Any idea if I could mount the fork guards from later model Vmaxes onto my '97? Are there other options for protecting the forks?

Stock protectors won't work as the newer forks have bosses cut out of them to make them fit. However there are some I have seen out there for them... Chrome I believe...:confused2:

I saw these the other day while surfing parts, and they are called Metisse Fork Protector. I was looking at these too, but it says it will not work with fork brace. I think that is true for my "92, may be different on your '97 though. :confused2:
The search goes on........

Back