Replacing Rear Drive Differential

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiteflys

Reaction score
Hi guys have a 1992 vmax and i need to replace my rear drive differential as mine crapped out on a ride,not fun at speed. Will any year vmax 1200 diff work? I see 85 to 97 and some say 98 to 2007 and some say everything, confusied , please help

85 to 97 only or 98 to 07 only and others are saying everything on Ebay and I dont want to buy the wrong one if there is a diff. Thanks all help would be great

85 to 97 only or 98 to 07 only and others are saying everything on Ebay and I dont want to buy the wrong one if there is a diff. Thanks all help would be great
I’m not 100% sure on differential differences. I believe they are the same 85-2008 but I don’t have quite the expertise some others on here do . Sean Morley ( one2DMax) would know for sure, as well as several others. Anyone have any input ?

Search for different rear axle length, which I think happened in the '90's. Not sure if there was a difference in the width of the diff housing. I think there was a different casting they used, from that point.

From vmaxguru.com:
1996 changes:
The rear drive housing changed slightly. The casting was machined down an additional ¼ inch at the axle nut area to accommodate a shorter axle. The assembly included a larger diameter and thinner washer with a lock nut.

Last edited:
Any rear final drive will bolt on and work. The only issue you will have is with the axle and associated hardware. Early units (85-97) use a longer axle, thick washer, castellated nut and cotter pin. Later units (98-07) use a shorter axle, thin washer and self locking nut.

Brother Whiteflys; Dont forget venture diff,s work also and give a lower rpm at speed. About 10%.

They will work for sure. I've got a pile of them around here for the various years (and axles if needed too)

Latest posts

Back