Replacing spark plugs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymel

Reaction score
Well thanks to everybody's help, I got a lot replaced (coolant, oil, gear oil, fuel filter)

I guess the last thing on the list is the spark plugs.

What do I have to take off / do to get those things off? You can obviously see them but accessing them looks like a different story...

Would somebody be so kind to give me some details on how to change them?

Thanks,
Jaymel

It's as easy as pulling the spark plug wire off the plug then use the right size socket and then take them out. When putting them back in make sure you do not over tighten. This would be a bad place to crack or strip out. I usually install and tighten as much by hand then use the socket wrench to tighten. Once nugged with the wrench I only tight maybe a quarter of a turn at most.

There are rubber covers that pull off upward on a stock bike. These need to be kept in order for re installation. There are tabs the pull out and later push in to place. Next comes the wires and boots. Obvious where to grab the boot and pull straight away from where they mount to the top of the plug. Be sure to install all the necessary new parts to make the new plugs look just like the ones that came out. Keep the wires laid on the cylinders in the order they come off. It is best to put some Never Seize Lube on the plug threads. Don't get carried away and put too much on, just a thin film using a Q-Tip is good. Start the plugs in by hand to insure they don't get cross threaded. Tighten very carefully. All you need to do is start to crush the bottom washer. 17 or so ft pounds isn't a lot of force..

Good Luck Bro
Dave

You will need a thin wall 18mm deep socket to remove the plugs. I have a 4-5" length of fuel line that I use to put the plug in and start threading it slowly and carefully. Do not overtighten.

One more thing, don't tighten the spark plugs when the engine is hot.

Nope, just get 3/8 ratchet, 18 mm deep well socket and 2 inch extension and that's all you need.

+1 on the fuel line trick... Or small rubber hose... Old mechanics trick for going where your fingers cant and its almost impossible to cross thread the plugs because the line will slip before cross threading... Starting them with a socket could cause you to cross thread them

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

After starting the threads, I always use the spark plug wrench that is in the OEM toolkit. My regular socket is too thick to get in there.

You will need a thin wall 18mm deep socket to remove the plugs. I have a 4-5" length of fuel line that I use to put the plug in and start threading it slowly and carefully. Do not overtighten.

+2 on the hose. Good for removal too, after you crack them loose. The white porcelin is brittle. If your engine skips after the change? You might have cracked one. Changed thousands of plugs with a piece of fuel hose, never broke or crossed threaded one. I have 3 tool boxes full, but I like the Yamy tool kit socket, and wrench fro my bike. A shot of WD-40 or CRC on the threads is something I've always done.

Also if you have a compressor use it to blow out any dust or debris that may be sitting there. You don't want anything falling in when you take out the plugs. Rubber hose is the key. Makes life easier. I learned this from Steve O. Thanks buddy ;)

Also if you have a compressor use it to blow out any dust or debris that may be sitting there. You don't want anything falling in when you take out the plugs. Rubber hose is the key. Makes life easier. I learned this from Steve O. Thanks buddy ;)

it may be worth mentioning that you want to blow air in there BEFORE removing the plugs! :confused2:

esp when u have to replace all 4 after a shotgun. twice

it may be worth mentioning that you want to blow air in there BEFORE removing the plugs! :confused2:

Yeah I'm still in bed. That would be nice to mention that lol. Ok before you take the plug out use compressed air to clean any dust or debris!!
Sorry.

Yeah Garrett how much better was changing those plugs with that hose we bought. We both have sausage fingers :rofl_200:

Back