reserve feul system

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjwheat10

Reaction score
hi
have a 2001 max. the reserve system doesnt seem to work.
when the fuel light comes on i switch the reserve switch to on but i only get a mile or less before it dies. how does the system work? is there a separate tank or a solonoid that opens a valve? how do i trouble shoot this. it is really a nuisance.
thanks

There's a fuel sender (float) in the tank. When there's about a gallon left, the fuel sender activates the fuel light and the fuel pump relay turns off the fuel pump. When you push the switch to reserve, the fuel pump relay should turn on the fuel pump again. Take apart and clean your fuel switch first. If that doesn't work, troubleshoot the relay.

I "think" I'm right, maybe someone else can confirm....

The float/sending unit drives the idiot light;

The float has a switch, When it closes it turns the light on and kills the Fuel pump. When the bowls go dry the engine dies....
Unless you hit the reserve switch which sends a new signal to the fuel pump relay that turns the pump back on regardless of the sending unit switch position....

There are no valves, alternative fuel piping or fuel routes or solenoids being turned on to re-establish fuel flow; The whole system is basically a very elaborate early warning system....

check your reserve switch and fuel pump relay; makes sure the fuel pump relay has a good ground as well.....

You can also go to

http://vmaxoutlaw.com/

Find the Tech and info link on the lower left,
click on the Service manual link and go to pages 354 thru 361 for more info......

I found the fuel switch confusing, this is what it looks like

Fuel
Res. On

You should ride with the switch to the right after a full tank. when the light comes on after burning 3.2 gallons, push the switch to the left (under the "Res." text). This turns the fuel pump back on as noted by others. Fill up the tank within 10- 15 miles and push the switch to the right (back under the "On" text).

At first I read the second line as "Res. On" as if putting the switch under the "On" text would turn the Reserve On, but that's not right. This stupid wording thing gets a lot of people, I wonder what it says in Japan. Maybe it is clearer.

Latest posts

Back