Reserve Fuel switching

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, the deer hit you!
I was wondering why my light doesn't work but everything else does?
I really just want a fuel gauge??
Anybody have experience installing one???

It's been done before and I sell all the parts to install one. Not sure easy but far from impossible.

Cool, thanx Sean!
I will look more into it and be in touch!!
How about the light not coming on?
If there is no light, why does everything else seem fine!!!

Yeah, the deer hit you!
I was wondering why my light doesn't work but everything else does?
I really just want a fuel gauge??
Anybody have experience installing one???
Get the parts from Sean. Its easy, easier than my set-up was to make.
Gannon just did one, not sure if he posted pics or not. Mine shown with gauge and low fuel level light.20200518_200036.jpg

If the light does not come on when pushing the start button then you have a bad bulb. If the light does not come on when you run out of fuel then you have a bad sending unit (provided it at least comes on during cranking).

It never comes on at all!
That is why I am confused!!
it says above that if it is a bad bulb the system does not work at all?

that is correct. If the bulb is burnt out then the reserve system will not work properly and the pump will only stay running if in the RES position even if the tank is full.

I'm glad Sean reposted this info, I've been waiting to see it, as he's made the posts before. It's probably something that should be a sticky if it isn't already, specifically referencing the fuel delivery system, the reserve function, and the switchpod.

Actually, it is: (58) The V-max fuel reserve (guage) explained. | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

Here's the copy, you can see at the link, the attachment pics. The font I see at the link is tiny, I copied it and it's much-easier to read, here:

The V-max fuel gauge explained OR How and why it works and why it sometimes doesn’t.

Many V-max riders are puzzled by the workings of the V-max fuel warning light.

This Q&A is designed to answer some common questions and provide a technical explanation of how the system works and why it sometimes doesn’t work.

Q: “How big is the V-max fuel tank?”
A: The V-max fuel tank capacity is 15 litres, 3.3 Imperial gallons or 4.0 U.S. Gallons.

Q: “How big is my reserve tank?
A: The V-max does not have a reserve tank. The V-max has one fuel tank equipped with a low fuel level sensor and a low fuel warning light. The warning light will glow briefly when the ignition is turned on and turn off if the fuel level is higher in the tank than the low fuel sensor. If the fuel light stays on, the fuel level is below the level of the low fuel sensor.

Q: “If there is no reserve tank, why does the V-max have a ‘RES’ switch on the right hand side handlebar switch assembly next to the throttle grip?”
A: When the fuel level is low and the low fuel warning light is glowing continuously the fuel pump relay disables the fuel pump. In order to get at the fuel that is left in the tank the rider must move the switch to ‘RES’. This re-activates the fuel pump and you are on your way again.

Q: “Why does Yamaha turn off the fuel pump when the low fuel warning light comes on and then make you turn it back on again by using the reserve switch?”
A: This lets you know that it’s time to fill up. The V-max fuel tank is underneath the riders seat and is not a gravity fed system. Fuel has to be pumped up to the carbs so using a fuel cock to switch to the reserve supply is not an option. It’s a sure fire way to get your attention and not overlook the fact that your low fuel warning light is on. The fuel is pumped from underneath the seat so switching to reserve has to involve the fuel pump.

Q: “How much fuel is in the reserve fuel supply?”
A: On a new bike the reserve is approximately 3 to 4 litres but there will be individual variation between bikes. On an older bike the reserve may be considerably less or virtually nothing. Because of the way the sender unit works, the low fuel warning light can mean “As Good As Empty”.

Q: “How does the low fuel warning light work?”
A: The low fuel level sensor unit in the V-max fuel tank is a solid-state thermistor device. That means it has NO moving parts, N0 float and NO contact switch. Many other brands of bike use this type of sensor.

A thermistor is a semi-conducting material that allows current to flow when it is warm i.e. does not resist the flow of electrical current when it is warm but will resist the flow of electrical current when it is cool. A thermistor is best thought of as a slow switch.

The sensor uses the fuel in the tank as a heat sink. When the fuel level is over the sensor it is cooled by the fuel, becomes less conductive and prevents the input voltage from completing an efficient circuit to the electrical ground connection. This keeps the warning light off.

When the fuel level is below the sensor the surrounding air is not an efficient heat sink so the thermistor warms up and allows current to flow. This turns the warning light on.

So when the resistance in the circuit is high the fuel in the tank is above the low fuel level and when resistance in the circuit is low the fuel in the tank is below the low fuel level.

The resistance value for an unsubmerged fuel level sensor is 900 ohms +/- 200 ohms @ 20 degrees Celsius or 68 degrees Fahrenheit.
Q: “Why do some people seem to be able to go much further on their reserve supply and others just barely make it to the next fuel pump?”
A: The fuel level sensor is a temperature and voltage dependent resistor.

Variations in temperature, the quality of the electrical connections and the power available to the circuit will all affect its ability to complete a circuit to the warning light.

Here are some examples.

Example One – Temperature effects resistance.

It’s summer and your motor is hot, your aftermarket pipes have done away with the heat shield between the tank and the rear headers. This has warmed the fuel in the tank and so it is no longer an efficient heat sink for the thermistor in the fuel level sensor. Warm fuel will allow electrical current to flow through the circuit more readily than cold fuel so the low fuel warning light may come on early. In this case you would have (relatively) more fuel in the reserve supply. However, when a cold, wintery, wind chill is cooling the tank the low fuel light might come on at a relatively lower fuel level.

The low fuel warning light on the V-max will vary with temperature of the fuel heat sink.

Example Two – Corrosion increases resistance.

Corroded electrical connections (power and ground wires) add more resistance to the warning light circuit and make it difficult to complete an efficient electrical circuit. Your V-max will see this high resistance as a full tank. If the connection is severely corroded, the fuel sensor may never detect a low fuel reading.

Example Three – Fuel pump relay failure
A faulty relay may not be obvious. A faulty relay can have various types of fault each with it’s own consequences.

İşte dört röle hatası ve sonuçları.

1) Yakıt pompası rölesinden gelen yeşil kablo, düşük yakıt seviyesi sensörüne güç sağlar. Bu hatta voltaj düşerse termistör spesifikasyonların çok dışında olacak ve düşük yakıt uyarısını hiç etkinleştirmeyebilir. Kontağı açtığınızda ve 'RES' anahtarını çevirdiğinizde röle yakıt pompasını açıp kapatabilir ve tatmin edici tıklama sesleri çıkarabilir ve yine de yakıt sensörüne gerekli voltajı sağlayamayabilir.

2) Röle arızalıysa ve yakıt seviyesi yüksekken yakıt pompasına voltaj gelmiyorsa ancak yakıt seviyesi düşükken pompaya voltaj veriyorsa 'RES' anahtarıyla sürüş yapmanız gerekecektir. her zaman ters döndü.

3) Tersi durumda ise üst yakıt seviyesini kullanabilirsiniz ancak yedek yakıt kaynağına hiçbir şekilde erişemezsiniz.

4) Tam bir arıza, yakıt pompasının çalışmayacağı anlamına gelir. 'RES' veya 'AÇIK' konumunda.

Örnek Dört – OEM kürelerinin ve enstrümantasyonunun değiştirilmesi

[FONT="]Düşük yakıt uyarı lambasına 'yedek' bir küre takıyorsunuz. Standart dışı ampuller termistör devresindeki elektrik yükünü değiştirerek yanlış okumalara neden olabilir. Yedek ampuller orijinaliyle aynı derecelendirmeye sahip olmalıdır. Aynen yedek enstrümantasyon.

İllüstrasyonlar
1. Termistör Sensörü kutudan çıkarıldı
2. Termistör kutusu (bir Panasonic bileşeni)
3. Yakıt seviye göstergesi
4. Yakıt lambası 'kapalı' devresi
5. Yakıt lambası 'açık' devresi
6. Termistör veri sayfası

Umarım bunu faydalı bulursunuz. Her zamanki gibi yorum ve girdilere açığız.
[son]

Üye Gleno'nun izniyle

Rölenin yakıt pompası çalışmasını etkileyerek arızalanabileceği yollardan ve ayrıca Sean'ın ampulün doğru güçte ve işlevsel olması konusundaki gözleminin öneminden ve yakıt seviyesi için sahte tank göstergeleri için kablo demetinin öneminden bahsedildiğini unutmayın. ve şu düşük yakıtlı lamba.
Mhteşem açıklamalar...bilgilendirme için teşekkürler..

switch works, bulb does not?
A voltage passes through the res. bulb on the dashboard and goes to the level sensor and the pump control. When the level sensors resistance changes it drops the voltage and causes the light to glow. It also stops the fuel pump controller from operating the pump so you have to over ride this with the RES. switch. If the bulb is blown then you won't get the voltage and the pump controller will think you are low on fuel.

Latest posts

Back