Reserve problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check the bulb (done)to ensure it has not burned out, follow the wiring (check grounds/ splices/ connecting components) and lastly look into the tank to make sure the sensor is intact.
Easiest to do would be to check tank/ bulb, maybe one of our resident electrical gurus can help you with the best process to troubleshoot the wiring.

Are you the original owner? If someone installed an earlier cluster (85-89) then the fuel will not work correctly.

Sean

I have a very similar problem - reserve light no longer comes on and I eventually run out of gas.

And yes, my fuel light is working - comes on with the oil light when I test with the starter button.

Thoughts?

Appreciate the quality info but let redbone answer the questions- it's alot more fun.

I must admit that redbone's avatars are more then welcome in every thread lol. I will also admit I am not the best electrician but i'd like to think I do know my way around a vmax a little bit (including some electrical knowledge).

Appreciate the quality info but let redbone answer the questions- it's alot more fun.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
Now you know how I feel, Brian.
We are just so much "eye candy"
We DO also have minds, Mr. Dragmaxster :biglaugh:

As for the problem - maybe not associated with the low fuel light at all?
Maybe loose or corroded connection(s) at the pump itself, or the fuel pump relay?
Cheers!

I defer to Sean(and a lot of others on this site) for knowledge about any issues regarding motorcycles. As for the avatar/ signature, they are for enjoyment of all, please enjoy but the knowledge is what were here for in all reality.:worthy:
Lots of better sites for eye candy, but every motorcycle forum needs a little eye candy, IMO the two go together!:drool:

I am having the same issue. 1989 VMAX, less than 9,000 miles.
Fuel light comes on during the self test when the bike is started.
Bike eventually just runs out of gas without the light coming on (with the fuel switch to "on" not "reserve"), the reserve switch doesn't appear to do anything. - What is it actually supposed to do?
Can't find any loose ground wires.
Previous owner tells me he just had the gas tank re-done at some shop this winter.
The fuel sensor in the tank APPEARS to be intact, but I'm not really sure what it is supposed to look like.

Also, maybe I'm just dumb, but shouldn't there be two hoses coming from the tank to the fuel filter, one for the normal tank and one for reserve? I only see one...unless it switches lines within the tank.

Had the max for about a month now and I absolutely love it.....just don't love running out of gas :)

The reserve is virtual. There's a sticky here on the forum explaining how it works.

Thanks for this info! Also having this problem now I have a few things to check..

How come no redhead on a vmax redbone? Lol

I recently bought a 2005 and I'm still getting to know the bike a little more after fixing a few little things I decided to take a run just to see gas milage I would be getting . 104 miles then the light came on so I hit the reserve went a little further then sputter spit then shit as I cruised into a gas station ...No pushing for me I got lucky Today !

I did the same test last week. 120 miles when the light came on (had a gallon gas can in my tail pack just in case). Took 3.2 gallons to fill up.

37.5 mpg
I rode 88 miles then filled up and i only took 2 gallons.

The end result of a good tune. Low RPM's related to miles per gallon are over rated imho. Though I'd like to still get $150 for my nice Venture pumpkin.
biglaugh.gif

Steve-o

Back