Resistance plug wire to ground??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V-Four

Reaction score
Correct me if im wrong..but I know I read here..somewhere..that resistance measured through plug wire to any good ground On bike should be 18.5 k ohms.?

I checked mine and i get 21k on rears..and 23.3 on front two.

Does this mean something in particular?

Or am I whack?
Thanks.

To me, it means your front two wires have about 2.3k more resistance than do your two rear wires.

I think all four are within reasonable tolerance. If I recall, mine are always at around 22k when I checked them. If you still have the OEM caps, you can reach down inside them and unscrew the innards for inspection. I think there's only the screw, resister and a brass spring inside. Though it's been some time, I've had mine apart and inspected two or three times over the years - probably due again now.

Thanks..I dint know how critical it was. I had just trimmed a quarter off the back 2 wires to coils.
Then did the measurement. So I thought for certain nobody had touched the fronts..cuz they an SOB to reach.

Well..thanks to my reading the ENTIRE electronics section (all the way back to the beginning) ;)
I believe it was 4gasem who said that he reached the front coils without tearing the whole bike apart.

Anywho..I managed (as he stated) to trim the front coil/ wire/plugwire..whatev..by ONLY removing the scoops.

Long story..well..a little less boring, after I trimmed a quarter inch off the front plug wire..re assembled..re checked resistance. . And low and behold. Not a damn change..still 23.3 or whatev.

So..if that number is acceptable. .then im good..well at least coil/wire resistance wise.

Thanks.

Oh..btw.. should all four read the same? Why wld fronts read higher than rears?

Correct me if im wrong..but I know I read here..somewhere..that resistance measured through plug wire to any good ground On bike should be 18.5 k ohms.?

I checked mine and i get 21k on rears..and 23.3 on front two.

Specified resistance for the caps is 10 K Ω.
As the wire is a copper core then the resistance will (should be!) negligible. Therefore the little you removed will have had no effect on the overall resistance.

If the bike is running OK then I wouldn't worry, but it may be time to at last dismantle and clean the innards of the cap as described by Mr Jfeagins. If feeling flush you may want to replace them.

I bought some copper core plug wire and replaced mine early this summer. I think there is probably enough left for another 4. If you want it, you can have it. Just PM me a mailing address.

I bought some copper core plug wire and replaced mine early this summer. I think there is probably enough left for another 4. If you want it, you can have it. Just PM me a mailing address.

Pm'd
Thanks
Ill send ya somethin for yer trouble.

T $

Latest posts

Back