reusing your stock exhaust heat shield

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigrubbers4x4

Reaction score
for you guys that have done exhaust swaps, did you reuse your stock exhaust heat shield or just leave it off? if you left it off are there any issues you ran into?

i don't know of any aftermarket exhausts that keep the heatshield.

Nope! put them aside.

I've had ZERO issues without them.

My buddy had the older style Hindle on his and it melted his battery box.

Chris

Bigrubbers4x4,
with the Mark's pipes, no place to attach the stock heat shield, so left it off. Doesn't seen to be an issue but I still think it would be nice to have some kind of heat shield on the back side; especially with the gas tank so close by.

I'm curious if anyone out there has made a heat shield to replace the stock one for after market pipes ? :ummm: If not, I may give it a go in the next month or so.

Mine was removed with a kerker. No box melting.. Must be the silver thousand mph tape covering it..:biglaugh:

Marks Exhaust here, no way to reattach heat shield, so it was left off. I thought about fitting a aluminum shield to protect the gas tank but didn't and there have bee no issues. It has a lot more space for air to flow around the area around the exhaust pipes.
The heat shield that sits on top of the rear cylinders was removed when I installed the COPs and SS hose from my oil fill to air box.
I did fit a plastic shield(~2.5" wide between the frame) to keep moisture entering the area above the battery and I covered this shield with aluminized heat tape to reflect some of the heat in that area.
Probably not needed but Sean had my engine at the time and I was bored!:biglaugh:

I swear we pulled one off the 86 that I assisted with disassembling at CaptainKyle's. The rubber one that goes over the head and curves toward the battery box. That bike had a Kerker 4-1. Don't know why it was still there. :ummm: It's not needed...

I swear we pulled one off the 86 that I assisted with disassembling at CaptainKyle's. The rubber one that goes over the head and curves toward the battery box. That bike had a Kerker 4-1. Don't know why it was still there. :ummm: It's not needed...
There talking about the metal one that ataches to the 2 rear pipes

I've left those on mine.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

Back