Rev counter position

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02GF74

Reaction score
OK I've got to ask,; I'm sure it's been discussed before but what idiot decided to put the rev counter down on the tank instead of by the speedo in LINE OF SIGHT.

So what have people done to alleviate this?

One of 2 options I'm looking at is getting an s/h instrument panel, cutting out the rev counter and fitting it inside a binacle, similar to the speedo.

Secondly I've got a rev counter from zzr600, choose because it has similar looking needle and getting a new face printed for it.,assuming I can get it to work. This may fit the same binacle as the oem speedo.

Or you could get a KOSO or a knock-off of one. Replace your speedo w/it, many guys have done that, probably some wire diagrams on-here VMax-specific, if you do a search.

Instead of cutting-off the OEM nylon plugs, to wire-in something-else, I like to make a 'jumper' to keep the stock nylon plugs. That way you can return it to-stock if you choose to sell the bike.

This is what Ive done. Sean sells a gps speedo. I really like it because it looks stockish. You truly can fully customize them, including layout, turn signals, color of the lights, etc.

Attachments

• 10609-1486955595-dc1d1c1ea50ba921bbc33b5aebe7e73f.jpg
    10609-1486955595-dc1d1c1ea50ba921bbc33b5aebe7e73f.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 20150429_182853[1].jpg
    20150429_182853[1].jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20150429_182834[1].jpg
    20150429_182834[1].jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 20150428_222437[2].jpg
    20150428_222437[2].jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 48
iJoXIlB.jpg

Some info on the Acewell:
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/acewell-speedo-settings.46461/
More info, others too:
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/speedo-tach-combo.25454/
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/dash-upgrade-by-a-new-guy.46193/
https://www.vmaxforum.net/threads/speedo.9848/
A traditional in-appearance gauge:
https://www.dimecitycycles.com/acew...JygqLLow-0hNcu5B4POoE82PPhrWyXaUaAnrgEALw_wcB
I like this one, it's ~3-3/4" wide across the bezel, the face is white, so it matches, and lots of functions:
  • Dimensions: Bezel Width: 95mm Face
  • Face Width: 82mm/3.22 inches
  • Body/Mounting Diameter: 85mm/3.35 inches
  • Total Depth: 47.8mm
  • Needle Tachometer: 12,000 RPM)
  • Digital Tachometer:19,900 RPM)
  • Digital Speedometer: 248.5 MPH Max)
  • Speed Meter: MPH & KPH Odometer Hour Meter
  • Additional Features includes: Built-in RGB (red, green or blue) LED backlight, user can adjust backlight color. Classic 85mm diameter needle tachometer with multi functional digital functions. Adjust odometer when less than 30km /18.6 miles. Fast processor speed to connect to the pulse type gearbox speed sensors. Universal wheel circumference setting range: 1-3999 mm (157.44 inches). Trip Meter, Volt Meter, Thermometer, 12/24 Hour Clock, Total Hour Meter, Maintenance Reminder, CNC Aluminum Housing & Bezel. CE and E mark certificated. LCD shows digital functions of speedometer, tachometer, maximum RPM, volt meter, temperature meter, volt meter, clock & more.
Not-cheap at $250.

acewell-classic-multifunction-12k-tachometer-black-cnc-white-face-ca085-551ab.jpg

Last edited:
How much you have in the total setup from Sean?

I dont know how much they are now. I was one of the first people to get one thru Sean, and so got a better deal, because I was a Guinea Pig. I would suggest emailing him at [email protected] . I am VERY pleased with it, due to the options that can be had with it, and the level of personalization. Ive had it on the 07 since early 2015 and havent had any issues.

I dont know how much they are now. I was one of the first people to get one thru Sean, and so got a better deal, because I was a Guinea Pig. I would suggest emailing him at [email protected] . I am VERY pleased with it, due to the options that can be had with it, and the level of personalization. Ive had it on the 07 since early 2015 and havent had any issues.
Capitalizing his email first-letter, it may-not transmit. Use all lower-case: [email protected] You probably have some auto-correct setting doing your capitalizing.

thanks for all the ideas so far - my aim is to have something looking like the original tacho, albeit positioned next to the speedo, a back burner project that may never materialise but something to keep me occupied.

Good Morning,
I'd like to know if there's a way to program in the original mileage on the bike. Does your setup allow the original mileage as well as a tripometer function?
That setup looks great by the way :)

Thanks,
Vinnie

I really like @MaxMidnight's setup. That's very cool looking and very clean.

I like @Traumahawk's setup too, but I don't like the red lighting on it.

I don't ride much at night anymore at all, so ultimately it wouldn't make much difference.

Good Morning,
I'd like to know if there's a way to program in the original mileage on the bike. Does your setup allow the original mileage as well as a tripometer function?
That setup looks great by the way :)

Thanks,
Vinnie

It does have a trip meter.....but I dont know if you can program the odometer portion of it. I looked into it a little bit, but didnt pursue it.

Latest posts

Back