Reverse shift pattern

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scratch

Reaction score
Is there any way to reverse the shift pattern on the max?

It looks like it is impossible, but I would rather not have to switch back and forth.

Suggestions?

Thanks

scratch

It can be easily accomplished with forward controls and switching from standard to reverse is a snap. It's been so long since my controls were stock, I don't remember what would have to be done on a stock shift setup.

Thanks Mike,

Any chance I could talk a few more details out of you?

Forward controls meaning like up by the highway pegs?

The set up on my bike looks like a lever connected directly to the shaft.

Thanks.

Lifted from Ingo's old site currently hosted by UFO.
You can get a spare stock shift rod to revert back to stock if you choose to. I know a couple guys who have done this mod and none have reverted back. Thinking of doing it myself, just haven't gotter a round tuit!

Reverse Shift Pattern - (The "MASON MOD")
by Don Mason, Jan. '00

1 up 4 down.

This mod will allow for faster and more precise up shifts.
COST: under $10.00
TIME: under 2 hrs.
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: 3 out of 10

HOW TO:

1. Remove the left foot peg bracket.
2. Take note of position of shift pedal.
3. Loosen lock nuts on shift rod (linkage), top one is left hand thread.
4. Remove the shift rod (linkage).
5. Cut about 3/8" off of each end of the shift rod (linkage). A Dremel tool works well.
6. Remove pinch bolt on (splined) shift lever assembly.
7. Pull splined shift lever off of shaft and rotate it CCW to about half way between the 9:00 and 10:00 position + or - to your liking. Re-install splined lever and pinch bolt.
8. Re-install shift rod (linkage) between shift pedal and shift lever. Adjust shift pedal close to original position.
9. Install foot peg with forward bolt only so peg bracket can swing up and down.
10. Lift peg bracket up close to shift lever and mark bracket for clearance.
11. Remove bracket and cut just enough metal to clear all shift apparatus. (Dremel tool works well)
12. Touch up cut area with paint.
13. Re-install peg and bracket when dry.
14. Adjust shift pedal to your liking and tighten lock nuts.
If you have questions feel free to e-mail me at or give me a call at (419) 862- KICK

Don

Well, I was bored this weekend in the 0 degree weather so I cranked up the heat in the garage and went to work on this mod. Here are a few pictures of what I did. Of course I havn't had a chance to ride it, but everything seems good so far.

Attachments

• P1010085.jpg
    P1010085.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 95
  • P1010086.jpg
    P1010086.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 99
  • P1010090.jpg
    P1010090.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 91
  • P1010088.JPG
    P1010088.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 95
It'll take you awhile to adapt, it did me.

I love the reverse pattern tho"

I also have a 71 Harley Sprint (Aermacchi) it's a 350cc single cylinder and has the reverse shifting pattern, but to throw another twist into it, the shifter is on the RIGHT side and the rear brake is on the left. At least they are both reverse shifting now!

ride upside down :rofl_200: just kidding do it step by step and you will be fine

Latest posts

Back