Review: Avon Venom AM41/42 tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biker Dash

Reaction score
First Impressions - 150 miles

The main reason I chose the Avon Venom AM41/42 tires in 120/90-18 and 170/80-15 for the V-Max is being able to get them as a matched set in the sizes I desired. Finding some favorable comments towards these tires only further convinced me that I was making the correct choice. And now, with the first one hundred and fifty miles on them behind me, I can say that I am pleased with what I am experiencing with them so far.

When I first saw them mounted on the bike, I found myself liking how they looked. They look meatier than the 110/90-18 and 150/90-15 Dunlop 404 tires which were on the bike when I had bought it last summer. And they ARE meatier. Enough that clearances are very tight both on the front and back. That being said, there is still enough clearance that there is no rubbing issues I have found. Now, the front fender seems to hug the tire, similar to many custom fenders you might see on some bikes, as opposed to the stock look, which leaves a noticeable gap between the fender and the tire. As a bonus in the looks department, the tread pattern looks very similar to what you would find on tires for a sport bike, which just adds to the overall look.

When I first got into the saddle with the new tires, the very first thing that I noticed was that the ride was a bit taller, particularly in the front. Most of that would be the fact that I went from a 110/90 to a 120/90 size. That alone would have added nearly a full centimeter of height, but where as the tires are designed around rims that are between 2.5-3 inches wide, and the stock V-Max (1st Gen) front rim is only 2.15 inches across, the tire is pinched in, altering the profile some. I would guess it added a whole half inch of ride height in the front. Where as before I had dropped the front an inch through the clamps, it was a noticeable difference.

The very first thing I noticed while actually on the road was the change in how the bike handled with the new tires. The desire to turn was immediately felt. She turns in much easier than before, and felt more controllable to me. The V-Max now felt closer to a modern standard, or maybe a sport bike, even, compared to how she felt before the change. Mind you, this was without truly testing the cornering, whereas the tires are still new, and I need to finish breaking them in before I start testing how they hold at tight lean angles. Right now, I am thinking that part of the reason she feels so much easier to turn could be the altered profile caused by the tires being pinched in a bit. Could it be that I have found an optimum tire profile for sportier riding with this bike?

The next thing I noticed is how much more stable the bike feels at speed over less than perfect surfaces. The sad fact of life is that the majority of the time, you will not be on race track smooth roads. In Maine, roads are more often than not rougher than a drunken sailor’s manners. While wearing the Dunlop tires, Woona (yes, I named her Woona) did not like rough roads one bit. I would feel a twitchiness through the bars whenever she went over any rough or grooved surfaces. Now, with these new tires, she feels straight as an arrow smooth over them. It feels like it is a completely different bike, with an improvement level that is over nine thousand.

Lastly, while I was riding home from Windham, I spent the last twenty or so miles riding in the rain. I wish I could claim that the Venoms created a magical barrier which kept me nice and dry for the duration of the way home, but thats dreaming on my part. What I did find pleased me greatly. Being that the tires were still not broken in, I was a bit concerned about how they would grip in the wet. Happily, I am here to report that, even with them as new as they are, they provided excellent grip. I believe the chief reason is a combination of the excellent compound used, and the very well designed (and deep) grooves. The footing felt very sure, and I no longer look at wet roads with nervous tension and fear of dumping the bike, as I did feel running the previous tires.

Overall, my impressions so far indicate that the Avon Venom tires are an excellent choice. I am looking forward to the time when I can start really testing how well they hold in the corners, as well as how they hold up after many thousands of miles of harder use.

I shall keep everyone posted.

Glad you like them. I still get kinda nervous when they are a little wet, funny for some reason back likes to spin....As for corner, not like this bike hugs great, I don't go so fast in corners.. Not that brave. But I usually leave most bikes corners or not.

You have a great set of tires there. I have been running the same setup for a little over 2.5k miles and have zero complaints. I had them when I went through the dragon and surrounding area in the fall, crazy unexpected downpours, and lots of regular riding. They have yet to disappoint.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back