Ricor vs. Racetech

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gleno

Reaction score
I just followed the link from the forum to the Ricor Web page and looked up the description for the patented Inertia Active dampening for damper rod front forks.

"This is the only product on the market that is smart enough to know if the wheel is trying to move or if the chassis is trying to move. We give you the best of worlds, a more stable chassis and a faster wheel response over bumps. This product will transform the front of your Bike.

The Intiminator sits on top of your stock damper rod forcing the oil through high quality deflected discs found in top of the line shock absorbers. When the front tire hits a bump then the inertia of that bump opens the inertia valve instantly allowing for a faster response.
Installation is easy. Drain the fork oil, remove the spring, drop in the Intiminator, add oil then the spring and away you go.

Sold in pairs.

You will need two quarts of 5 w shock oil"

My question is;

Isn't this the same as fitting Racetech gold valve cartridge emulators to the front fork or have I missed some key difference here :ummm:

Found it right as I posted that. :bang head:

It sounds like it takes a different approach to damping somehow incorporating high and low speed compression into the fork. Possibly through some form of preloading the valve for digressive valving.

To the best of my knowledge, the emulators do not perform this function. The add compression damping which is internally adjustable, and rebound damping becomes a product of oil weight used.

The RICOR product appears to handle high and low speed compression (thus being able to tell "if the wheel is trying to move, or the chassis is trying to move.").

In the past most of these functions were handled by choice of a progressive weight spring and different oil choices. Now while all springs are progressive in function, a progressive rate spring will become substantially stiffer as it goes through it's range of travel. The inherent problem with this is that as it goes through it's travel, it alters the chassis dynamics (trail, rake, swingarm angle etc). Handling this through damping is a much more effective means of keeping chassis dynamics more consistent. Both the emulators and the RICOR product will address this through damping, but from what I see, the RICOR product may be more effective and versatile.

I'll keep it on my watch list. I will be in the market for suspension upgrades on my Vmax in the future, and I am not sure if I will stick with Race Tech as on all my sport bikes, or I may try this out.

I'd be willing to try them to see how they compare to my Racetech emulators but it looks like all us guys running pre '93 41mm fork slides are out of luck.

The Intiminator seems to be only available for 43mm fork tubes :confused2:

Thanks for that. Didn't occur to me to look for the 41mm Harley Davidson part. I should have remembered that's how Racetech do it for the 41mm fork slides.

Pre 93 forks are 40mm not 41 mm.

Their website description seems incorrect in one respect. It says to drain the fork oil, drop those things in, and then pretty much you're ready to go. Racetech has you drill out the damping rod compression holes.

If you don't drill those out, then how are you going to turn over the damping to the new device? The original compression holes will still limit the high speed damping. That's why damping rods (stock anyway) suck. The holes are too small for high speed damping, and too big for low speed.

Racetech has you drill them out so that the original holes do nothing, and all the low and high speed is handled by the emulator. The rebound is handled by the original rebound holes, and you use different weight oil to adjust that.

I'm using Racetech emulators, and I've been in my forks about a half a dozen times for adjustments. I've setup some friend's bikes also, so I know how the Racetechs work. I don't understand how the others could work if you don't drill the damping rods.

Vinnie

I'd be willing to try them to see how they compare to my Racetech emulators but it looks like all us guys running pre '93 41mm fork slides are out of luck.

The Intiminator seems to be only available for 43mm fork tubes :confused2:

If anybody can bring their pre 93' bike to our shop in Henderson NV for fitting we will leave the INTIMINATORS in your bike at no charge.

Their website description seems incorrect in one respect. It says to drain the fork oil, drop those things in, and then pretty much you're ready to go. Racetech has you drill out the damping rod compression holes.

If you don't drill those out, then how are you going to turn over the damping to the new device? The original compression holes will still limit the high speed damping. That's why damping rods (stock anyway) suck. The holes are too small for high speed damping, and too big for low speed.

Racetech has you drill them out so that the original holes do nothing, and all the low and high speed is handled by the emulator. The rebound is handled by the original rebound holes, and you use different weight oil to adjust that.

I'm using Racetech emulators, and I've been in my forks about a half a dozen times for adjustments. I've setup some friend's bikes also, so I know how the Racetechs work. I don't understand how the others could work if you don't drill the damping rods.

Vinnie

You don't have to drill out the damper rod holes because we are using a 5w oil.

Ok, that makes sense for the compression part of the dampening...... but is that going to be enough rebound dampening with only 5w oil? Most guys that go the Racetech emulator/spring route or even Progressive springs are using 10w minimum. Some are using all the way up to 20w oil for the increased rebound dampening, and simply adjust the emulator to work with the thicker oil.

Vinnie

Ok, that makes sense for the compression part of the dampening...... but is that going to be enough rebound dampening with only 5w oil? Most guys that go the Racetech emulator/spring route or even Progressive springs are using 10w minimum. Some are using all the way up to 20w oil for the increased rebound dampening, and simply adjust the emulator to work with the thicker oil.

Vinnie

There are a lot of advantages to fast rebound. One of them is traction, especially braking and cornering. The way our system works you will find that the front end of your bike will not dive as much so the chassis rebound becomes less critical. On the V-Max we tested the front end of the bike hardly moved under WOT going through the gears.

Many people have found this hard to believe, even seasoned suspension experts, until they try it.

If you look on our web site under Testimonials you can copy and paste into google to see what other users are saying. You also can google "ricor ride report", or "Intiminators".

We do offer a money back guarantee.

Thanks very much for the info. I do 'get' exactly what you're saying. I, in the past, did try a 5w oil and thought the bike rode great and did not rebound too quickly. But I later went with a 10w oil to slow the compression damping. I guess if at the time, I figured how to make the bike 'not' dive, then I would have not needed such a heavy oil. Seems sometimes the quicker rebound is what's needed along with more compression damping.

Funny that most bikes even have shocks with adjustable rebound damping and not adjustable compression damping. Seems it should be the other way around. I'm currently dealing with this issue on my rear Progressive 418 shocks. I turn up the rebound damping to steady the chassis but the ride suffers. I can tell what I really need is to turn up the compression, so the shocks don't compress so quickly and so far (and dialing up the spring rate just makes the bike ride more harsh because I'm not using the total suspension travel),,,,,,,,,,,,, but the shocks don't offer that compression adjustment.

Thanks again for the discussion.

Vinnie

There are a lot of advantages to fast rebound. One of them is traction, especially braking and cornering. The way our system works you will find that the front end of your bike will not dive as much so the chassis rebound becomes less critical. On the V-Max we tested the front end of the bike hardly moved under WOT going through the gears.

Many people have found this hard to believe, even seasoned suspension experts, until they try it.

If you look on our web site under Testimonials you can copy and paste into google to see what other users are saying. You also can google "ricor ride report", or "Intiminators".

We do offer a money back guarantee.

Are the "intiminators" designed to work with stock springs, or are you changing the springs also?? The intiminators are more costly than the racetech emulators but if you don't need springs than they would even out I guess.

What about lowering the front fork? Will the intiminators still work properly with stock springs if the forks are lowered with blocks?

What if the bike has progressive or racetech springs already? How will the bike react with intiminators and someone else's springs?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Those are good questions, Mike.

Most damping improvements will work to improve suspension feel, traction, and comfort regardless of spring weight when set for the spring. In that, I mean if you stick with the stock .382 kg/mm spring, the valve will dampen the oscillations better that the stock rods, but the spring rate would remain unchanged, with the exception of the minimal amount of internal preload added by the height of the RICOR valve.

RICOR SHOCKS: Is it possible to get the installation instructions for this product? I didn't see them on the website, and I'm very curious.

Last edited:
Are the "intiminators" designed to work with stock springs, or are you changing the springs also?? The intiminators are more costly than the racetech emulators but if you don't need springs than they would even out I guess.

What about lowering the front fork? Will the intiminators still work properly with stock springs if the forks are lowered with blocks?

What if the bike has progressive or racetech springs already? How will the bike react with intiminators and someone else's springs?

Inquiring minds want to know.

When you increase compression Dampening it lessens the spring rate requirement. More compression Dampening less spring rate needed.

Typically one of the fixes for brake dive has been increased spring rate. While this may help with brake dive it makes for dysfunctional ride characteristics.

We suggest that initially you keep your stock springs and just add our valve. 95% of the people out there will be fine without a spring rate change.

They will work great with lowering kits.

Brian

Ricor Shocks,

Are you planning to expand your products to more applications? I'm currently running ZX-9 USDs on my 89 V-max, but i'm planning to switch to different wheels and Radial calipered USD's. Thinking of running 06 or up GSXR600/750 USDs. If i pick some up, i would be interested in running your intimidators if you had some for this application. Would also need to up the spring rate i'm sure, since my V-max will weigh in around 500-550lbs which is 100-175lbs more than the GSXR600's.

Also, i happen to have the stk forks from my 89 just sitting and gathering dust. If you need a set of forks to do some R&D, i can send these up to ya if you like.
-Mark

Latest posts

Back