Ricor vs. Racetech

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ricor Shocks,

Are you planning to expand your products to more applications? I'm currently running ZX-9 USDs on my 89 V-max, but i'm planning to switch to different wheels and Radial calipered USD's. Thinking of running 06 or up GSXR600/750 USDs. If i pick some up, i would be interested in running your intimidators if you had some for this application. Would also need to up the spring rate i'm sure, since my V-max will weigh in around 500-550lbs which is 100-175lbs more than the GSXR600's.

Also, i happen to have the stk forks from my 89 just sitting and gathering dust. If you need a set of forks to do some R&D, i can send these up to ya if you like.
-Mark

If you are running an inverted cartridge fork with compression and rebound damping built in, I'm not really sure this specific product is right from you.

The RICOR and Racetech emulators are for damping rod forks. The inverted cartridge forks you are planning to use don't have damping rods.

If you are running an inverted cartridge fork with compression and rebound damping built in, I'm not really sure this specific product is right from you.

The RICOR and Racetech emulators are for damping rod forks. The inverted cartridge forks you are planning to use don't have damping rods.

Yeah, did'nt think about that. I was thinking that racetech had something for the USDs and i guess i was thinking they did too. Not really used to setting up the front suspension. Only have experiance setting up rear suspensions on bikes at the dragstrip. I'm in new territory with trying to get a bike to handle well on the street...

Yeah, did'nt think about that. I was thinking that racetech had something for the USDs and i guess i was thinking they did too. Not really used to setting up the front suspension. Only have experiance setting up rear suspensions on bikes at the dragstrip. I'm in new territory with trying to get a bike to handle well on the street...

If you've got the overall length right, and you can match a comparable spring to get the travel right, it can be done. Internally you are starting with potentially a better working system. I can see stock internals being outperformed by either damping rod product. But I can also see tremendous gains in damping and ride consistency with well chosen aftermarket products.

If you can make the tubes fit a set of triples that will work, and radial brakes that will accommodate the rotors there is a lot to be gained. In my opinion the Vmax was severely limited by the forks from inception to 2007. Small tubes, extremely soft springs (in my opinion), damping rods, lack of rebound damping (outside of viscosity choice), and fixed compression damping have made it a problematic front end to work with. All those things are addressed with the tubes you suggest, if they will fit.

I'd like to note since I've just added what may seem like a diatribe to this thread, my 05 Vmax will have either RICOR or Race Tech internals. I want my Vmax to look as stock as possible. And both those products are capable of good results with completely stock appearance.

Back