Riding the center line.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V4ever

Reaction score
This is just some thing that's been bugging me and felt like discussing it. (this may ramble a bit lol) First off, it seems like a fair amount of bike accidents and deaths are happening around mid Michigan lately. When the stories instantly hit social media (like FB) the comments all seem to be like "Stupid drivers WATCH OUT for motorcycles!" & "Watch the road instead of texting" "Prob. on their phone". This may sound harsh but shouldn't we as riders also play a part in our own safety? I know when I ride I have "what if -then" scenarios playing out in my head constantly when I ride ; drive ways-what side of the road are they on?= being positioned "here" give me the most time to react, intersections- who's where & what are behind them etc. fence rows, tree lines, corn field meets alfalfa = most likely spots for deer, it may look relaxed but my mind and eyes are going 100 mph it seems. I know it's not fool proof but it's worked for 30 years. More and more I'm seeing SOOOO MANY riders who just don't allow for anything! I can't count all the times I've been in my car or truck & had "bikers" coming, single file & side by side, at me with their legs 6' a parts on forward controls or highway pegs and crash bars, with almost half the bike OVER the center line!! On hills, on curves! It's like they have something to prove like "I don't have to move, YOU have to watch out for me 'cause I'm a Biker & I don't have to be aware of where I am or how wide my bike is, my tire's in the groove so it doesn't matter that the rest of it over hangs into on coming traffic. I don't know about the rest of you but this stuff really irks me:bang head:

You are "prepared" for what could happen , this is how I have been riding for 45 plus years. Today's society tend to just do what they want when they want. No one takes a look at what can happen everyone thinks it won't happen to me but the sad truth is it does happen some people are lucky and never have an accident or problem some are not. Guy I work with hates bikes because 3 yrs. ago his son was killed by a car now the kid on the bike was doing a wheelie when he hit the back of a moving car , car was doing posted limit of 55 the bike hit the back of the car in excess of 115 yet my friend blames the 2 old people in the car never mind that his son was wrong and could have killed those people or others . People today simply do not think!! And YES we do need to watch out for ourselves just because we ride motorcycles is No excuse!

Cell phones have added a new danger for US. Most yappers on cell phones aren't paying attention to the road. Then there's texting. I'm always on the lookout for the sudden lane switcher that will side swipe you. A big danger is the AH that hogs the left lane, then switches to the right with little warning, just as you go around them. Giving them plenty of room is prudent, as well as passing them as quickly as you can. Where we're positioned in a lane is important to safety. The right edge of the left lane is not where I like to ride on one way, multiple lane roads. Two way traffic posses more risk. Left of center coming at you has to be accounted for. Most cages, if you watch them, won't stop if their lane is obstructed, they'll come into your lane and expect you to yield. I like to ruin their moment when in my Jeep and they do that. Be careful out there!

First off, I always ride close to the center lane so cars coming towards me see me easier if I am behind a vehicle and Cars behind me that want to pass can't cut short and into my space when they pass (and if they do I got 2/3 of the lane to my right to move to instead of riding on the right side where the ditch is the only option).

Secondly, when I ride with others, we always ride the normal one on center line and next on outside line, etc. Some people try to ride as 'best' as they can by staying very close to each other. I on the other hand always leave a full bike length plus in front of me. I judge where I ride by the larger of a bikes length (from the bike directly in front of me) or where my front tire is a foot behind the rear tire of the bike diagonal of me (closest to me) so they have room to swerve in front of me in case of any emergency or situation without causing a pile up.

I think it's common sense and safety, but others unfortunately place the "6 inches from the guys in front of me" coolness look above safety.

On two-way highways, I try to stay in line with the traffic's left hand wheels track. That way, there is less crap on the road to deal with, the driver ahead can always see you in both side and rear-view mirrors, and traffic coming the other way see your headlight. I also try to maintain "minimum safe distance" form the vehicle in front. Less chance of an a-hole trying to pass, consequently cutting you off.
If possible, I prefer to follow a car, truck or bike. Gives you a heads-up about potholes and road conditions, and tailights can be a lifesaver at night.
When passing, I do it as quickly as possible, after staying in line with the cars/truck's side view for a bit. And I always make sure I have clear passage to the front of the vehicle before starting to pass - letting the other motorists complete their passing first. This avoids that sickening feeling of being side by side of a vehicle with nowhere to go, and possibly in their blind spot.
Cheers!

Well, it seems a lot of people ride the inside left track close to the center. Me, I don't like being that close to on coming cars, if someone is peeking out to pass them and I'm close to center, the person passing will not be able to see me as quickly as if I were in the outside track. If the oncoming traffic makes a sudden move (swerving for a f#ckin animal, kid cryin, looking at phone... what ever) into my lane I like having a little bit off cushion room. I use whatever part of the road I deem safest at that particular moment, I make adjustments all the time. I also don't really see the need for a car in front of me to see me in his side view mirror, he's in front of me, going the same direction, he's the least of my worries because he can't pull out in front of me lol,. I'll use him as a shield or intersection blocker and a hazzard/pot hole detector LOTS of pot holes in MI. btw ...and where are most of them? That's right, in the tire grooves. I'm just getting so damn tired of the "stake my claim" attitude. Last Sat night I had a "car" running pretty close to the center coming at me, (secondary road) turns out it was two bikes and the asshole on the inside had part of his bike IN MY LANE!! There couldn't have been 3 inches between us. If he /she would've hit me people would blame me because I'm in a car. 2 weeks ago I had a group in front of me 3 WIDE on a hilly 2 lane road. People can stake their claim all day long but you'll always loose to 4000 lbs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a timid rider I ride pretty aggressively & defensively when it calls for it, I also have some hooligan fun BUT....I pick my battles and with on coming traffic, the center isn't it.

Ride like your invisible. I thought these driving lights were the ugliest things in the world but I found there great as day time running lights people seem to really notice them.

Attachments

• 1407342448106.jpg
    1407342448106.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 37
Ride like your invisible. I thought these driving lights were the ugliest things in the world but I found there great as day time running lights people seem to really notice them.

Exactly Kyle, I always ride with the mentality that people ARE going to pull out or cut me off at some point, Aahhh the relaxing what if/then scenarios :)

Here's another, earlier this year there was a farm tractor/ motorcycle collision! Wtf! If you can't avoid a TRACTOR, no matter WHAT the scenario you shouldn't be on a bike! And some people were blaming the tractor driver. I feel as riders we carry most of the responsibility for our own safety...we have to. Don't assume Anything.

I slowly move around a little, that way oncoming cars notice the movement, but as they pass I stay in the left tire lane. I generally stay in the left tire lane when riding like miles stated because I know there is less crap in the road

i use my whole lane, from paint stripe to paint stripe. i drive truck for a living, so the what if senarios are just a habit now. all the time no matter what i am driving, i am predicting.... even when i'm not driving i do it, lol. how many on here, crank up the throttle when passing a tractor trailer on the freeway?? i do, i speed up to get by as fast as i can. those tires hold 110 psi. or more up to 120 psi. when they blow, you will not be on your bike. they are louder than a shotgun. i've had some blow, and thank god there was nobody passing me. if only 10 psi can launch an 18lb. bowling ball over 3 football fields, imagine what 110 psi will do. but just be on the look out for traffic in front of the truck wanting in the left lane. and at night i always try to ride behind a car, i follow the tailights, and use them as a leader, they hit whatever is in the road before me, and gives me time to react to whatever they hit, or slow down for.

Back