Ring & Pinion Help!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjsonar

Reaction score
The Max started to whine and vibrate on deceleration so I took it in to the mechanic. He said that I broke the pinion shaft and to get it fixed I need to get the whole package ring and pinion. I don't know any thing about it. Does that sound right to you guys?

Mike

Look to get a used Final drive unit on ebay. Will be much cheaper than labor and parts to repair

I'D GET A NEW ONE & PUT IT ON YOURSELF ! www.bikebandit.com I THINK THEIR $500 - $600 , SOMETIMES THERES A REASON FOR NOT BUYING SOMEONE ELSES WHIPPED - ON , BEAT-UP JUNK ! BUY A NEW ONE THEN YOU NO WHAT YOU HAVE ! TMO :punk:pS . or CALL SEAN MORLEY ! one2themax !

Yep, has happened more then once this year. Your options are to ebay a reg vmax diff or even convert to a venture diff. I have 2 vmax diffs on hand painted gloss black and ready to go.

Sean
[email protected]

Yep, has happened more then once this year. Your options are to ebay a reg vmax diff or even convert to a venture diff. I have 2 vmax diffs on hand painted gloss black and ready to go.

Sean
[email protected]

Sean I e-mailed you about the price of one of your 2 vmax diffs.
Is it true that I need to buy the whole thing cause they don?t sell the individual parts?

Sean I e-mailed you about the price of one of your 2 vmax diffs.
Is it true that I need to buy the whole thing cause they don?t sell the individual parts?
Your ring and pinion wear out at the same rate. If you put a new pinion gear on an used ring gear, it just wears out faster, has too much lash and probably won't set up very well.
29.gif

With both parts new, you have tighter clearance and much quieter operation that lasts many times longer.
eusa_dance.gif

It's not that they wear differently (which they do wear the same) but that yamaha doesn't sell just the pinion or the ring. Only sold as a set.

Sean

I think mine is about to take a shit soon!

I feel a vibaration once in awhile if I acclerate out of a turn hard leaned over, it will osciliate type of vibaration under load.
If I come to a stop and take off again it will be smooth until the next turn..

I guess I will find the problem tonight at the dragstrip

Check the pinion nut before you go if you get time. We have seen them get loose too and cause that. But like marks and others they will break off the end of the pinion. I think hard acceleration is still fine due to the "pull in" created by the worm shape of the gear.

Sean

Latest posts

Back