RIP Charlie Watts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw them a number of times and always enjoyed his work. What he saw in his time with the band!

What he saw in his time with the band!

Also playing with Blues Incorporated was a guitarist named Brian Jones, who introduced Watts to the fledgling Rolling Stones - whose original drummer, Tony Chapman, had quit the band.

The result of that meeting, according to Watts, was "four decades of seeing Mick's bum running around in front of me".

One of my favorite bands. RIP Charlie. I last saw them at Boston Garden the night they were arrested and didn't come on until around 11pm.

Charlie Watts was a gentleman, he was totally the opposite to the rest of the band, (let's not forget that Bill Wyman was expelled from the band because of his conviction of child abuse and molestation)
One of Charlie's best was in 1978 (I think) after a concert in Amsterdam, that Mick and Keith went on a binge of cocaine, women and alcohol, while Charlie went back to sleep at the hotel, as he usually did.
At around 5:00am in the morning, Mick and Keith were back at the hotel, totally wasted, and screaming like lunatics.
Mick said he had a new melody in his mind for a new song, and he wanted to play it now, he wasn't going to wait for the next day, so he picked up the phone and called Charlie, because he want to do it right now.
The phone rang quite a few times, and Charlie answered, so Mick yelled "WHERE IS MY DRUMMER !!!!!"
Charlie just hang up, put his perfectly ironed pants, his dress shirt, the tie, and his handmade shoes.
He went and knocked on Mick and Keith's room, and as soon as Mick opened the door, he punched him with a cross to his jaw, that layed him flat on his ass.
He bent over, and with his index finger up and close to Mick's nose told him..
"I'M NOT YOUR DRUMMER, YOU ARE MY FUC--NG SINGER !!!"

You can read about this episode on the book of Keith Richard's Memories

Latest posts

Back