Rock into radiator ?&#!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sucks !! the rock that is and if I remember right somebody bought one of those rads off ebay and it didn't fit right hopefully they will chime in I might be mistaken too .

That sucks bad.....and like Jaime, I think I remember someone having issues with those.

Go for my first ride of the year and while riding, a rock flies into the radiator and now it's leaking :bang head:

Put some stop leak in to fix it temporarily, but I guess I need a new rad.

Found these on ebay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261705256724?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Anybody have any feedback on them?

Mike
That sux, I hope you find a suitable radiator Mike. A few years back there was a US made radiator but after the initial news I heard nothing much more.
I started my bike the other day and noticed what looked like steam rising from the lower right of the radiator. I took off the radiator asap thinking the worse but alas to my relief it was a bug having a smoke.

I just bought one 2 days ago after researching. I bought the worley.
I pm'd a few guys to see how theirs worked but no answers back-
Some on this site say they need modifying as the holes don't line up. Those were gpi.
I am less than 1 hour from san bernardino where yours is and the one you show i am not sure who makes it but i think it's gpi. Cal tax would have been another 8.25% and i would have had it the next day. I ordered mine out of australia free shipping and got it for $95. It will be here in 2 weeks and i will let you know how it works.
I have a one of a kind grill cover on mine now(not much room for rocks) and it is an '85 model with 12,000 miles and the stock radiator is in perfect shape- i have the original grill cover in perfect shape too.

A good radiator shop could easily stitch it closed for you too if your interested in going that route.

Well the stop leak worked. Went for a good ride and no leak. This is not my favorite type of fix, but being the first ride this year, I do not want to wait a while to ride, waiting for a new rad. Summer is too short around here for that.

Still weighing out the options on a rad to buy.

Mike

Usually a good shop will weld it for $30-40.

If your radiator is in good shape I would just weld it. Less grief and hassle.

I ve welded my own radiators before on cars, bikes, I would rather have my buddy weld it as he owns a radiator shop and does a nicer job than me. And who cares if a car leaks, a bike.... not so much.

Go for my first ride of the year and while riding, a rock flies into the radiator and now it's leaking :bang head:

Put some stop leak in to fix it temporarily, but I guess I need a new rad.

Found these on ebay http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261705256724?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Anybody have any feedback on them?

Mike
maxcruiser, just wanted to let you know that the radiator that i sent you was sold by worley but is a gpi- i hope the price helped you decide if you are going to get one.
Now for the news- I uninstalled mine and installed this one in less than 20 mins.
I was impressed with the tig welding and the lack of weight first off. Fan bolted right up.As expected there was a little space between the mounts and the brackets so either you can easily bend the brackets or get longer bolts. I did not use the stock bolts to mount to the frame.
You will need to reuse your rubber grommets and use locknuts as they are not installed on this one- only holes for them.
I was able to use my stock grill guard and my radiator cover at the same time. Before i could not use the stock grill guard.
After the 2 hour ride yesterday the gauge never once moved above 1/2.
It usually ran at 3/4.

Well got my rad from Worley.

Prepped & painted it gloss black and installed with no issues.

A would like to thank Dragmaxster for the info on this rad.

Mike

Latest posts

Back