rod bearing measurements

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinman22

Reaction score
Im getting ready to order some engine parts tomorrow and i'm trying to figure out rod bearing sizes.

I cant find any measurements for the rod bearings. I understand yamahas way of doing it but i'm using aftermarket rods and i would like to get it right the first time.
My best option so far is to buy one of each and mic them. I was hoping it had been done already but can't seem to find the info anywhere.
Even if someone has only one new bearing of any color measured it would help since i have none.

sean has made a recommendation for a size the he has good luck with.

Last edited:
blue, 38.0mm/ 1.49606"
black 37.5mm/1.47637"
brown 37.25mm/1.46653"
green 37.00mm/ 1.45669"
yellow 36.5mm/ 1.43700"
pink 36.0mm/ 1.41732"

any confirmation on any of these ?

I'd put pinks in then plastigauge them. You can get taper and even out of round specs with this old tried and true method. From there, you'll have a pretty good idea what u need.

those are the measurements for the offerings on ebay. 36/36.5/37/37.25/37.5/38.
i have no idea if they are even close to reality. it seemed a bit broad to me too.

rod journals are 3/2 and rods measure out as no.6 stock rods.

no color code on old bearings ( motor has been apart ) but they plastigauge out between .0015 and .0020 on both sets of rods. mechanical measurements get .0019.

guess i'll use the factory formula and go from there.

I think there is VERY little difference between the thickese and thinnest of the sizes. Not even sure in total that it would be .002" difference

Back