Rode a V-Rod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjaneer

Reaction score
During my visit in the Panhandle, I took an opportunity to ride my friend's Dad's V-Rod (forgot to ask what year, but I guess maybe an '08 or '09). I didn't have the heart to tell him, that I thought it was weak:rofl_200:. WOT had absolutely no punch and just made a lot of noise. Ya, it's a lot more maneuverable, and it's neat to sit that low and cruise, but I dunno, that's about it, it ain't as fun as a V-Max. :punk:

During my visit in the Panhandle, I took an opportunity to ride my friend's Dad's V-Rod (forgot to ask what year, but I guess maybe an '08 or '09). I didn't have the heart to tell him, that I thought it was weak:rofl_200:. WOT had absolutely no punch and just made a lot of noise. Ya, it's a lot more maneuverable, and it's neat to sit that low and cruise, but I dunno, that's about it, it ain't as fun as a V-Max. :punk:

That's kind of what I figured. It's got to be better than my old ironhead though. For me, nothing IS as fun as a VMAX. imho anyway.
Steve-o

I have been curious about the comparison between the two. Your saying the Max has noticeably more power? I've been told by others that their close...glad to hear your side of the story.....:punk:.
Rode my Max down our TN RTE 66 yesterday. All I can say is the power...the non-stop pulling of my Max is just incredible to ride..always puts a smile on my face!! Rick

I can definitely attest to the Fact that a Stock V-Rod is not even close to a Stock VMax for power or Straight line Speed.
I dragged one (with my Stock 2000) on a Rural South Carolina road back in about 2004 and it wasn't even a race.
The V-Rod Owner asked if I would be willing to run him just to see how close they were.
I was easily 3 - 4 bike lengths ahead from the get-go and by the time I hit 130 MPH and got off of the throttle, I was probably 1/8 Mile ahead.
I will also state that I am absolutely NOT an experiened drag Racer and neither was he.
After I pulled over and the V-Rod Owner finally caught up to me all he could say was WOW !

I have been curious about the comparison between the two. Your saying the Max has noticeably more power? I've been told by others that their close...glad to hear your side of the story.....:punk:.
Rode my Max down our TN RTE 66 yesterday. All I can say is the power...the non-stop pulling of my Max is just incredible to ride..always puts a smile on my face!! Rick

"close"? nope, not even. not imo. i guess that it's the non-stop pulling sensation that you're talking about that i'm attesting to. on the v-rod, through each gear, it felt like the bike started struggling few thousand before redline. whereas the V-Max, as you know, the pull stops at the driver's redline. :rofl_200:.

My 1200 Sportster will eat V-Rods... Sportster's just a "Girls Bike" with a really bad attitude.... Sportsters don't fit with general Harley Riders any more than VMax's fit with Crotch Rocketeers. Guess that's why I have the Bikes I have.. To be different....:rofl_200:

Totally different motors like these are, will seem different. My SV and the Vmax are pretty closely matched for naught to 60 and 1/4 mile times, but the max with the vboost feels faster.

I like the vrod engine, but am not a fan of the bike. It looks like you sit on it and not in it. Just weird looking IMO.

Chris

There not for me but there is an ass for every seat. The Vrod motor is a good one though rarily any problems with them. There is a girl running around here on a Turbo one that runs good.

I've run dozens of them at the strip and always came in 2-4 lengths ahead in the 1/4, except to a modded one (no clue what mods besides exhaust and commander) and he beat me by about a length......several times....N20 maybe I dunno, but he was definitely faster than my 11.30's

Cracks me up when I hear some HD guy tell me they issued the GEN II to meet the challenge of the Vrod....Like they needed to??:rofl_200:

My 1200 Sportster will eat V-Rods... Sportster's just a "Girls Bike" with a really bad attitude.... Sportsters don't fit with general Harley Riders any more than VMax's fit with Crotch Rocketeers. Guess that's why I have the Bikes I have.. To be different....:rofl_200:

Must be some Sportster - my 1200 Sportster would barely eat a pedal bike going up-hill. It's not really that bad, but I've raced a few V-rods with different vehicles/bikes over the years, and I don't think the Sportster would have a chance at all.

Found this on the web. http://www.timskelton.com/valkyrie/tech/fastest.htm

Last edited:
I've switched bikes with my friend before.I can tell u, the Rod handles better then my old Max on a twisty mountain road.But the best thing about riding the Vrod was watching my Vmax being ridden by someone else.I loved watching my Max going down the road.The Rod is not quite as quick on the straight's.But it's a quality motercycle.Harley & Porsche did a brilliant job IMO.:clapping:

Attachments

• Mt.Palomar.jpg
    Mt.Palomar.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Not trying to hijack the thread but:

My other bike Is a Valk and though not as fast as the Max it sure puts the hurt on the other "baggers".
Lew

Last edited:
I've switched bikes with my friend before.I can tell u, the Rod handles better then my old Max on a twisty mountain road.But the best thing about riding the Vrod was watching my Vmax being ridden by someone else.I loved watching my Max going down the road.The Rod is not quite as quick on the straight's.But it's a quality motercycle.Harley & Porsche did a brillent job IMO.:clapping:
Now there you go. I learned when I first arrived at this site (recently) that you are not allowed to say anything good about Harleys. :)

They are all fun.
I've spent some time on a borrowed sporty this summer since my max is down.

I've helped my friend build another one with 1250 jugs, cams, serious head work, new carb, ignition, exhaust, etc...... its pretty quick. Fun to ride and very comfy! Very easy to tear down too.

To me the Vrod is like a medieval torture device just to sit on. The position is just so awkward.

I really don't think Porsche did such a wonderful job. With 1130ccs and all the modern engine technology at their disposal, they still couldn't even make par with a 25 year old Japanese motor of essentially the same displacement.

When your "crown jewel" is bested by 25 year old technology, what's that tell you? Can you imagine if the new Camaro was slower than an example from the 80's?

Maybe by 2035 HD will be able to pinch out a bike that gives a Vmax a run for it's money. Obviously a 25 year technology handicap just isn't enough.

Years ago I went to the vrod site. They were all grousing about paying $6000 more than a vmax and having to spend $4000 more to equal the performance.

Now there you go. I learned when I first arrived at this site (recently) that you are not allowed to say anything good about Harleys. :)

now now, i can't say i agree with that. i can't say that i don't like harleys. but true, you won't catch me saying that i think they are worth whatever ungoddly amount the sucker fork out for them. i don't dislike them. what i really despise is that their drivers think they're the shit because they sit on one. what i liked the best, is when they pull up, not ever seeing a max before and you see them start drooling. or better yet, like with my friend and his dad--after riding my max, they were thoroughly impressed and i could see the gears turning in their heads like "hmmm, i wonder if i should buy one" hehehehehe. but like rawarrior says, imo, dollar for dollar, you can't beat a max

Latest posts

Back