Rode Behind an R1 Today.%$&^%

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
A Crotch Rocketeer Friend, Ken came over today. 2 up, his 100 lb GF on the back of his 05 R1. We took the Interstate to Tampa and stayed out of the gas pretty much. It seemed to take Strafer a long time before the oil pressure dropped to normal. Took a twisty road down to Gandy and back home.

When we headed toward the Gandy Bridge, Ken dropped us way back, away from traffic. I thought we had enough room and blasted off knowing I had the slower bike. Ran up to triple digits and let off as he hadn't even started yet. He later told me he came by at 140 in 3rd gear when he did start. As he approached, I nailed 3rd with a fast shift to 4th. At about 8,500 rpm, the glow of my oil level light caught my attention. First time I've ever seen it come on. I didn't think to look up at the oil pressure. Instinct made me shut down from the run. I gradually caught up but only in double digits. He had backed way off realizing there was no race going on. I had especially checked the oil level prior to starting the bike for the ride. It was all but to the top marks in the sight glass. Kyle, you fixed my clutch too well. I didn't think the light would ever come on with the front end on the ground and in 4th gear.... Amazing, 10 G's.. or something.:ummm:

We continued toward the local Yami Shop and I told him to pull in when we got there. We blasted off from a light so we could outrun traffic and turn safely. Damn, I missed third gear, 3 times in rapid succession. It just kept going to false neutral????? By the time I quit trying, I saw the tach approaching 11,000 rpm likely for the 3rd time.. Oops... Didn't hear any weird noises when we did stop and nothing out of the ordinary on the way home. Thank God for the Kawi O-Ring and COO Button...

Man, I so need rev limiters on these 2 bikes it's not funny... This makes 5 times that I remember taking this engine up to the Ozone Layer of the RPM Scale...:bang head: Bad, Bad, Bad on me.....:hammer bash:

Last edited:
A Crotch Rocketeer Friend, David came over today. 2 up, his 100 lb wife on the back of his 08 CBR 1000.

:punk::punk:

Changed a couple of things and sounds like my yesterday!! I was testing a RIGGED TO THE MAX (see a thread I'm about to post) muffler setup. But man, its fun riding with those kind of guys. You never look at the gauges (or I don't anyway) cuz you're too busy trying to keep ol maxxy upright and not wobbling. And you only notice the speed when you think "dang, is it that windy???" Nope, that's you as a sail at 100+ for 20 miles or so.... fun stuff for sure!!:biglaugh:

Max1139: I can always count on someone here to make me feel better or atleast know I'm in good company.. I'd be lost without this forum. The other one I do, ar15.com, they'd all just as soon shoot me and take my job... They should be very careful what they wish for...:rofl_200:

mattness: Gen II :confused2: I may be able to aford one by Gen III iF I start saving now.... :biglaugh:

Specops13--You bet!!! I've been looking at all kinds of bikes lately, thinking maybe a sport bike too, but there's just something about a max that's cool!! maybe not the most graceful beast ever built, but what the heck, it's fun.

mattness -- looked at a genII :hmmm:
Lets see that price....:wacko:

I would have to hit that profit ALOT!!

step 1: buy gen 2
step 2: ??
step 3: profit :D

Manufacturer Yamaha Motor Company Also called R1 Production 1998?

Ive got an Idea for step 2 :biglaugh::biglaugh:, but I need step 1 first:bang head::bang head::bang head: ,but then step 3 will be :biglaugh::eusa_dance::biglaugh: for me!

140 in third? He must have been revving the piss out of that thing.

Even a 600 will take you given enough room (though you should be able to hold them off to 70-80 or so).

I always thought these bikes should have a rev limiter also....not sure why it took so long for OEMs to start adding them.

I blew off an R1 way back but that was the rider.... He tells me he's doing that 140 @ 14,000 rpm... Sprockets??? He says top speed is 190....

Ehhh, maybe. I don't doubt it shows 190 on the patented Yamaha Digital Dream-O-Meter. Both the R6's I ride with (an 02 and an 06) both have digital speedos, stock gearing, and both are easily 10% optimistic. According to the screen, those little 600's will push 180. Right. My Yamaha snowmobile (with a cluster essentially straight off a sportbike) is the same way. When it reads 125, it's actually about 110.

I've run my Max speedo against a GPS and it's amazingly close. At 75mph, it's essentially spot-on (past that it reads fast, below that it actually reads slow). When I show 75, I can see his screen and it's showing 83-84.

R1's stock will do 130 easy in 3rd.....that 140 was probably uncorrected.
The CBR is about 5-10 slower in third than the R1.
I'm mid 120's on my FZ1 with stock gearing not redlined...corrected in 3rd.

Dyna 3000 ignition has a rev limiter which I agree we Maxers need. My '85 will keep pulling strong to about 10,800, at about 11K the valves feel like they are flouting and you hit the wall.....10-10,3 is the sweet spot for my bike.
I set mine at 10K though just in case.

I do a bit of 1/8 mile racing, and all the liter bikes will catch you or beat you out at the end unless they make a mistake.....Slips don't lie.....I hit mid 90's through the traps.....they go through at over 105.

My 1 1/2 cents (corrected)

85vmax: Thanks for that input about the Max's Upper RPM... I'm not too worried about how high it went with the missed shifts, It happens. But I'm gonna do something to stop it.... :biglaugh:

I was just taking the guys word for how fast he came by me... He's a Youngon...:rofl_200: Prone to sensationalism...

Spec.... hows the riding up in Tampa? I'm in South Florida and the only twisty's down here are the on and off ramps:punk:

I also hear you guys have some big bike meets/get togethers/bike nights.

I have to ride 50 miles or so to get out of town, so I'd say riding sucks here. CaptainKyle is 20 miles north so he's closer to a few good roads but they are short and the traffic is horrendous otherwise... We do have long bridges to really get the speed up. But also lots of Cops.:rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back