rolling the engine over

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamster66

Reaction score
How easy is it to roll it over by hand? (socket and ratchet)
Took it out on the hwy to see how it was running after doing carb work/shotgun.
I heard a loud noise ( metal that's broken kind of sound) about 1 mile down the hwy coming from the left front side (going 75 + mph so it had to be loud)
Bike started dying and shut off. Tried restarting it....nothing.
Got home and charged the battery and tried again...nothing.
I could hear the starter wanting to engage.
I removed the starter clutch cover to see if anything was broken....didn't see anything right off the bat.
Hit the start button and the starter worked so it couldn't be that.
I'm hoping its nothing internal...do you think something happened to the starter clutch that I can't see without tearing into it? I have had the "noise" from hot starting lately....started clutch shot? any ideas?
I replaced it 7 or so yrs ago.
also....any suggestions on a 4 brush starter that won't bust my bank?
I read somewhere that the late 90s-mid 2000's venture starters are the same.

Easy enough if you have the alternator cover centre cap removed. A large socket on the OUTER hex cast on the flywheel (the inner hex is the retaining bolt) will rotate the motor. Note that it turns anti-clockwise.

A loud bag from the motor will never be a good thing. If the bike turns over OK then I wouldn't think there would be any issues with the starter gears.

'Fraid you will need to start stripping it to establish the cause. I would lift the cam covers first and see what is going on in there.

Latest posts

Back