Rotor Life Span

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phazernut

Reaction score
I recently got my first V-Max. An 03 all stock with only 11000KM on it. Bike is like new. I have a pulsing in both the front and rear brakes. Just wondering if the rotors could be already warped? I am the 3rd owner of the bike and both previous owners were 60+ year old riders who never rode the bike hard at all. Also attached a pic for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• IMG-20130629-00065.jpg
    IMG-20130629-00065.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG-20130629-00064.jpg
    IMG-20130629-00064.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 37
Nice clean '03! :clapping:

Have you put many miles on it since you bought it? Could be a little rust on the rotors from sitting that's causing the pulsing. Generally will go away after some riding/useage.

I have about 500KM on since I got it. The pulsing is not as bad now but still there. More in the rear than the front. I have a new set of pads on order for it. I'll change them this week and see what happens. I'll give it a few good hard stops if the friggin rain ever stops. Still getting used to the different riding style. After coming off a Buell And Hayabusa the V-Max is a different animal.

Sounds like you'll be fine with a little more useage. There is a minimum rotor thickness spec...you can mic them to see what the wear is but with only 11K's they should barely show any wear at all.

Chapter 7 first page

pdf.gif
Vmax service manual

A proper sanding and cleaning should do the trick. Hard spots can develop on the rotors if greasy hands touch the rotors and then those spots are heated by braking. Sanding/cleaning and new pads will make a world of difference. Clean hands and the new pads do need a break in period.

good luck,
Lew

you said 110,000 KM? thats 70,000 miles, so i could definitely see the rotors being worn by that point.

Make sure to check the button's. They can get sticky and cause rotors to feel like they are warped. Just need to clean/lube them for free operation (so they will self center). The rear rotor will not do that though and if pulsing from the rear the only option is normally replacement (I do have some nice EBC's available in the Muscle Sale section).

Sean

I took an old rotor and glass beaded the hell out of it to see how it'd work, It did a nice job.
I know it can't level it, but it totally cleaned it and no inbedment of the #70 glasss beads.
Steve-o

Latest posts

Back