Rotors on 85 need replaced

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephjhaney

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the need to replace my 85 rotors, I'm going to go with just replacing them this time, upgrading to more stopping power later when I have more green in the pocket. I just noticed it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to use a normal motorcycle jack on the max since the pipes sit lower than the frame, looking for ideas as to how to get the front of this beast off the ground to get the tire off and change the rotors. Maybe use blocks to get up to the frame, like a few 2x4 s nailed together? Just checking to see if anyone else has ideas. (No center stand, so can't cheat and just have someone sit on the ass end while I do the work with the center stand up) :)

Joe

I've been lifting my '85 with a Sears bike lift for years with no problem. I've had it up in the air with both wheels and the fork tubes removed. Somewhere on here I posted a pic, years ago..

The headers will support the weight of the bike with no problems at all. You can use a rag to protect the finish if so desired. Or you can make your blocks that you mentioned.
What's wrong with your rotors?

The headers will support the weight of the bike with no problems at all. You can use a rag to protect the finish if so desired. Or you can make your blocks that you mentioned.
What's wrong with your rotors?

Warped I think, does the whole "thump thump thump" when I stop. Mechanic said he could see one of the fins was kind of crimped closer than the others. I'm going to give it a go next weekend or the weekend after to get them switched out.

Joe

And does an early gen 1 ever need a brake upgrade. The calipers are just plain lame. And the options are vast. OEM rotors can be replaced with cheaper and better quality stopping power. The HH pads are a good way to go on any set up. Next change I'm putting them in back as well.

I've just replaced all three of my discs with ones from ebay (£113), and my son machined me some spacers to fit 'silver spot' calipers (which he bought me as a gift) without having the expense of bigger discs etc.DSC02716.JPG DSC02717.JPG DSC02718.JPG

probably not as powerful as having bigger discs but they are good enough for me

Back