rough idle and low rpm fixed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motox909

Reaction score
I've been fighting with a rough idle for a long time and read all the posts about this on the forum. When the bike gets past the "normal" operating temp...close to the red but never overheating it would run rough and sometimes stall at lights and intersections...not good or safe!
I received a care package from Sean Morley with many electrical parts including a set of carbs. Sean has been amazing helping me with this problem. I spent many hours replacing parts with the ones that Sean sent trying to isolate the cause. This includes the pick up coil, computer, rectifier regulator, coils, etc. Bought new wires and plugs with no effect.

Now for the fix...the one thing I never replaced was the plastic caps on the spark plugs. It seems that when the bike got hot the caps started to "leak" electricity to the block and the rubber that shields the heads from the frame. While idling in the garage, I touched the cap and the rubber and would get shocked...this was on 3 of the 4 cylinders. I bought NGK resistor caps and now the bike idles great at all temps.

*****It seems like the bike lost some power because of the resistor caps and resistor wires but it was a quick cheap fix to the problem****
A set of coil over plugs should help

What do those resistor caps look like?
its ngk sd05f straight type. I'm not sure how to post pics but this is a link to what it looks like

http://4into1.com/ngk-spark-plug-resistor-cover-straight-sd05f/

I bought them from ebay, about $4.50 each. Keep in mind that I seem to have lost some power due to the resistor cap and resistor wires I used but at least it is running smooth!
The COP mod should take care of the power loss. I will do the mod in a few weeks once I'm convinced there are no more issues...I don't believe everything I see...

I've been fighting with a rough idle for a long time and read all the posts about this on the forum. When the bike gets past the "normal" operating temp...close to the red but never overheating it would run rough and sometimes stall at lights and intersections...not good or safe!
I received a care package from Sean Morley with many electrical parts including a set of carbs. Sean has been amazing helping me with this problem. I spent many hours replacing parts with the ones that Sean sent trying to isolate the cause. This includes the pick up coil, computer, rectifier regulator, coils, etc. Bought new wires and plugs with no effect.

Now for the fix...the one thing I never replaced was the plastic caps on the spark plugs. It seems that when the bike got hot the caps started to "leak" electricity to the block and the rubber that shields the heads from the frame. While idling in the garage, I touched the cap and the rubber and would get shocked...this was on 3 of the 4 cylinders. I bought NGK resistor caps and now the bike idles great at all temps.

*****It seems like the bike lost some power because of the resistor caps and resistor wires but it was a quick cheap fix to the problem****

A set of coil over plugs should help

My 85 came with resistor caps. I suspect all years of Vmaxes did. 1st thing I replaced when my bike began "leaking" spark over to the heads. I also put new plugs & wires at the same time. I even tried wrapping addt'l rubber tubing over my new plug wires - to no avail. For me, to get rid of this same problem, I had to correct the charging system and, at the same time, I also put in the bigger battery for a better reserve voltage while at idle.

Back