Round 2: Hyundai Elantra vs Honda Civic

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
4 door sedans:

MPG - about the same
Power - comparible
Reliability - debateable
Size - about the same
Features - not the same
Safety - not the same

Some of the pros about the Civic (IMO) are that it is proven and reliable. Some of the pros I think I've found about eh Elantra is that it is loaded with features (ABS, front and front-side airbags, power everything, traction control, etc.

Some of the cons I've found about the Civic are that it has substantial road noise and might be a bit underpowered. Some of the cons I've found about the Elantra are mostly reported as problems with Hyundai.

The Elantra cars are much cheaper but provide more features. Of course, this is only of use if the car doesn't break down once a month.

I have a lot of experience with Honda so I'm really only interested in knowing what you all know about Hyundai or the Elantra specifically.

I'm looking at 2004 models.

My sister and husband are all abot hyundai's, I think the are scrap. I fixed his brakes and drove it 20 miles to their house and though i was going to find my filling in my mouth, that was a 2001 with 56K on it. They now have the high end one and it's nice, but you can get a lot nicer cars for the same money. They aso have a 07 santa fe, she like it, but i drove it once and though it was exremely cheaply made. As much as i hate honduh's i would pick them over hyundai any day.

While Hyundai's have come a LONG way, they still aren't Hondas. Their higher end cars like the Genesis are MUCH better than any car they've ever made but still not as nice as the cars they compare to. Hyundai's are usually less expensive and the residual on them is of course less as well.

You really can't beat a honda. My buddy has a 2005 or 6 Civic and they get 38-40 mpg all the time with it. That's loaded with 3 kids and luggage. No doubt the hills kill it some but it's not a big deal to them I guess.

Chris

Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic. Honda civic.

*ahem*

I will ask you this: Look on the auto trader. Look on kijiji. Look on craigslist.

You will find ample evidence of high mile civics for sale. Some in the 400k's. The civic is bullet proof. The civic delivers excellent mpg.

The civic has been rated / recommended by consumer guide forever.

You will not regret a civic (as long as you don't buy some teens riced out JDM-implanted-engine frankenstein of a hack job).

The hyundai? They have come a long way. Yes. Are they comparable to a civics history and proven track record? Not by a long shot.

I have a lot of experience with Honda so I'm really only interested in knowing what you all know about Hyundai or the Elantra specifically.

Thanks for the help. My CRX is almost to turn 300k and as mentioned, I already like Honda. I don't have any experience driving an Elantra and wondered who had or who owns or have owned them.

yeah no brainer on thisn one. While Hyundai's are becoming very nice cars, it still isn't a honda.

The Civic is made in Marysville, Ohio and they source many parts from U.S. companies. I know you already know about the Hondas and were asking about the Hyundai...but I had to throw that in!

What is the max you would pay for a 2003 Civic LX with 80k miles? Manual, clean, good condition.

I check NADA and KBB often. Was just wondering what you guys would actually pay.

Anyway, I did not find the Civic soon enough. The ad was only up 10 days and it was a goner. So no Civic for me. Sad, because I think that one could have been a deal.

The Hyundais come with a 10/100 warranty, but that's good only for the first owner. It turns into a 5/60 for the next owners. I'm seeing a lot of Hyundais for sale with just over 60k miles. One or two pop up at 50k, so you still can get a small warranty at least for 10k miles or for a year or so.

Also, resale isn't an issue for me. I drive all of my vehicles until they are no longer good for me or anyone else.

I'd take the Civic, no question. Particularly if you "drive them til they're dead", the Civic will last you a lot longer than the Hyundai. Hondas are just built better.

If you're worried about the Civic being a bit underpowered(which I've heard they are), opt for the Si edition, which I believe put out like 200hp or so.

Hyundais have certainly improved from the horrible little glorified go-karts they called "cars" in the early 90's. Except the go kart I used to own had a better ride, and better acceleration. Still, they just don't have the refinement and overall feel of quality. I guess a better way to put it is that it's quite obvious you're driving a Korean car....kinda tough to put my finger on it.

My buddy has a Civic 2 door 5 speed manual... 2002 I believe. It's been tuned for 300bhp at the wheels.

No worries about power with that one. The car is STUPID fast.

Chris

You will not regret a civic (as long as you don't buy some teens riced out JDM-implanted-engine frankenstein of a hack job).

Funny. I was recently telling my wife that if we see a car with modded wheels, lights, or with a fart can exhaust that it's best to just walk on by.

The Civic is made in Marysville, Ohio and they source many parts from U.S. companies. I know you already know about the Hondas and were asking about the Hyundai...but I had to throw that in!

And I've heard many say that the older Hondas were the most bulletproof. Are we the reason? If you had your choice, would you import one from Japan or take one from Ohio?

4 door sedans:

MPG - about the same
Power - comparible
Reliability - debateable
Size - about the same
Features - not the same
Safety - not the same

Some of the pros about the Civic (IMO) are that it is proven and reliable. Some of the pros I think I've found about eh Elantra is that it is loaded with features (ABS, front and front-side airbags, power everything, traction control, etc.

Some of the cons I've found about the Civic are that it has substantial road noise and might be a bit underpowered. Some of the cons I've found about the Elantra are mostly reported as problems with Hyundai.

The Elantra cars are much cheaper but provide more features. Of course, this is only of use if the car doesn't break down once a month.

I'm looking at 2004 models.
Shuriken, i have a 05 accent which i bought brand new. A little different from the elantra only 2 doors and sportier but still a decent car for the price. No problems so far at 72000km just regular maintenance. The only thing i would suggest is get some decent winter tires, hyundai's factory all seasons are garbage. Another thing i have no block heater chord and she starts fine outside every morning here in winnipeg @ -30 to -40

Shuriken, i have a 05 accent which i bought brand new. A little different from the elantra only 2 doors and sportier but still a decent car for the price. No problems so far at 72000km just regular maintenance. The only thing i would suggest is get some decent winter tires, hyundai's factory all seasons are garbage. Another thing i have no block heater chord and she starts fine outside every morning here in winnipeg @ -30 to -40

I'm guessing that in the South West, Blizzaks probably aren't needed... :biglaugh:

lol

Chris

lol guess not i should check the location before i start giving out advice on winter tires!

I went with an 06 GLS Elantra.

Pros:
-bang for the buck
-lots of nice features
-awesome gas mileage (38 highway)
-nice suspension/comfortable ride
-only 65k miles
-etc.

Cons:
-shady seller - car has a replaced transmission (so who knows it's condition) and there is a very faint smoke smell (when it was claimed that the car was a non-smoker car)
-fleet vehicle

So... it's probably a pretty hammered, even due to low miles, as evidenced by the original transmission being replaced. I'd probably go with one again but I'd pay a little more and get a cleaner one. Fleet vehicle can mean many things, so I hope for better, not worse!

My first car(truck) was a former fleet vehicle. Apart from the interior being kinda trashed, the upswing was that it had maintenance done religiously by the company.

Since there's a faint smoke smell, you can bet that the company employees weren't supposed to smoke in the car(so it's a non-smoker), but did anyway. The shady salesman unloaded a can of febreeze in there to cover it up.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the new tranny. Little econo cars aren't meant to be driven hard, and employees just don't care about company cars so they're floored off every stop. I know...I drive company cars that way. It's like a rental I don't have to pay for.

Well, good luck with it.

Latest posts

Back