Rubber shrouds over cam covers?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_max

Reaction score
Okay, I will bite. Always wondered about these things. I can see that the shroud over the front cam cover also serves as a fan shroud routing air through the "tunnel". But is there any real functional need to have the cover over the rear cylinders?

( I am not entirely convinced that the one in the front is truly necessary.)

I'd really like to know if folks are running without them, because it looks much better and cleaner if they're left off.

Thanks Gents.

I assume you're speaking of the Gen 1. The pieces are there for control of heat, I would assume, as anything electrical will benefit from less-heat.

Yes, Gen1. Heat control was assumed, but there are lots of bikes out there that do not have such preventative measures. With the numerous discrete components used in 1985 vintage electronics which are less affected by heat than integrated circuits, I am not hugely concerned about it. What are used are mostly basic logic devices.

I have detailed this thing and I am convinced and positive the motor looks far better without those hideous shrouds. Besides, I have spare electronic bits.

Unless someone has empirical data that suggests that I would be making a horrible mistake by leaving them off, I think my mind is made up.

Last edited:
I can tell you Larry at LCR Performance asked if I wanted them taken off my bike during the process of adding COPs and I said sure. Been several thousand miles since without any issues and no increase in running temp or anything. This was on a ‘95

The shrouds may not "look" nice but they also serve another purpose. They help deflect the heat from rising up which also affects the cabeuretor function especially when sitting at a red light on a hot day. The heat will warm up the air box and cause the engine to puke and sputter until moving again to get cooler air into the engine. I've even gone as far as using insulative tape on the outside of the air box to help control this problem. Do you ever notice how much more responsive the bike is on a cooler day taking it out for a rip? When it's hot out, the air fuel mixture is richer. Everything has a purpose and a reason when it comes to squeezing every last bit of power out of the Max, lol.

Latest posts

Back