Run switch faulty, any ideas?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oz1961

Reaction score
Yesterday I was riding on the highway and suddenly the bike shut down.

I thought it was fuel, but that was okay. checked all the fuses but then I found that the run switch wasnt clicking on properly.

I was able to get it to work but it is not clicking on and off.

If this has happened to anyone else I am wondering how you fixed it?
Were you able to pull it apart and repair it or did you need a new one?

If I need a new one can I buy just the switch?

Thanks for your help

These switches often get dirty or gummy. The entire switch housing is split apart with two Phillips screws. Split the switch housing, carefully remove the various electrical components and spray with your favorite electrical contact cleaner. Spray any gunk
from the housing too. Let dry any test run the switches. If you need pictures, there are some threads here that show the procedure.

I was starting to have issues with some of the switches in my witch housings. Cleaning all the crap out of them did wonders. The most difficult part (for me) was making certain that the wiring inside the housings was all positioned just perfect to get the halves back together without binding the wiring.

It's not a hard job, and the benefits are well worth it.

I'm having some issues with mine as well. I've noticed that my headlight is cutting off going down the road. I heaved jiggled and wiggled all the wiring to the headlight without being able to reproduce the cutout. As soon as the headlight cuts out, I can kill the motor with the switch then back to run and the headlight comes right back on. I've torn down and cleaned the right side switch, now for the left side.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
554 RED HORSE Sq, Guam

OK thanks everyone.
It's great to get your imput.
I was worried that they were unrepairable

I will pull it apart this weekend and hopefully fix the problem

Its a great time for me to do it as I am fitting a new rear tire and checking everything in the rear at the same time

and the rear drive gear cover's paint is terrible so I want to get that painted too

Sounds like a great weekend with just me and my bike.

Latest posts

Back