runnin rich

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulhaworth

Reaction score
my vmax is completely standard apart from a few handleing and braking mods i have a full kerker exhaust system and i think it is running slightly rich any idea i am new to the vmaxs so i have no idea

If you have the stock air box/filter you need to jet down. Probably 1 size 150 mikuni. Some use 147.5.

Dale #2592

As veebooster mentioned, jets would make a difference as well as the following 3:
- A/F screw adjustment
- Carb Sync
- Float level adjustment

I have done the carb sync, float level adjustment and also replaced the main jets to 14.7 but still running a bit rich. A/F adjustment is a bit tricky, at least for me as not all carbs may be using the same adjustment (different turns). I have ColorTune for the A/F adjustment but I found the basic kit to be a bit hard to use on Vmax. With a tool like ColorTune, the adjustment would be a snap though.

Stock '86 Vmax?

If its stock, I see no need for a jet kit. I would start off by removing the carbs, doing a total teardown, clean and rebuild. Replacing the jets requires carb removal so tearing them down is not that much more difficult. Its easy with the resources here on the forum. Check out the carbs section, everything you need to know is there. Threads showing how to remove the carbs, how to rebuild the carbs (a series of 4 or 5 threads), how to set float levels, how to check float level, how to adjust vboost, how to synch carbs, and how to tune carbs. It is not too expensive either as long as the diaphragms and coasting enricheners are in good shape. Most guys get away with o-rings and jet block gaskets.

If you have never been in the carbs before it is hard to say what someone else may have done to them. Proper float height is critical as well as making sure all the orings, gaskets and diaphragms are in good shape. Not to mention, you need to know what jets are in there there on the main, PAJ's, and needles to have an idea where to start.

i agree with the above post^^^^ its the only way to know for shure what the carbs have in em. and besides...they are 26 yrs old so a good going over is cheap insureance.

Back