Running Excessively Rich

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
I've only ridden my 1999 V-Max only a few times since purchasing it recently. When I shut it down, I notice a strong fuel smell. Fuel is running out of a couple of my 4 exhaust pipes. The good thing is I can identify which carbs are the problem. There is no fuel leaking from any other area.

This weekend I plan to remove and clean the carbs, and polish the needle seats (Q-tip and toothpaste trick - works great). Then install and sync the carbs.

Am I on the right track? Any other suggestions?

Hey, check all your plugs first and verify which are running rich. If all look rich make sure air filter is clean before moving on to the carbs. Test spark at each cylinder to ensure good ignition of mixture. After that I would move to the carbs including fuel level, etc.

+1 to all Mark said. Have the gaskets you'll surely need if you intend to open up the carbs. Needles for the seats too, a bad one could be the issue.

Have the gaskets you'll surely need if you intend to open up the carbs.

O.K., I'll start with the easy stuff first (plugs and air filter).

But when I looked up the bowl gaskets, they appear to be rubber. I've torn paper ones in the past, but isn't it possible to open the bowls and re-use the rubber gasket?

Alright. I changed the spark plugs first. I started with the right rear (#3). Grounded the plug and checked for spark. NOTHING. I found and repaired a broken wire at the coil. I didn't check spark on the rest, but I'm confident that was the problem. I cranked it up and the exhaust started really smoking on the rear right since that one had been dumping unignited fuel in there. All the cylinders got hot, so we have ignition. I cannot believe I've been riding this thing with only 3 cylinders! Looks like I will not be opening the carbs.

Now it's raining, so it will be a while before I get that rush of acceleration again. :eusa_dance:

Now it's raining, so it will be a while before I get that rush of acceleration again. :eusa_dance:

The rain stopped and it dried up a little, but still kind of damp on country roads. Took the bike on a main road just now, and WOW... my V-Max acceleration memories all came back. Incredible rush! But you all know that already. Got it up to about 100 MPH, and developed a slow wobble that concerned me. It's very windy today, so I'll hope that was the problem. I nailed it a couple more times while "white-knuckling" the bars, and had no problems. I've been riding for nearly 30 years and never felt anything like that before... except one time in high school when I hit a large beaver at 60 MPH.

That wobble is not normal, but common. Pull it apart and inspect
the bearings before riding again. If they're in good shape
you can pack and adjust them after inspection. Sean has a good video on it here.

I re-use them all if they are in good shape. If they look dry and/or starting to crack replace. It helps to soak in fuel while rebuilding so they don't dry out. This includes the rubber plugs in the jet blocks.

The rain stopped and it dried up a little, but still kind of damp on country roads. Took the bike on a main road just now, and WOW... my V-Max acceleration memories all came back. Incredible rush! But you all know that already. Got it up to about 100 MPH, and developed a slow wobble that concerned me. It's very windy today, so I'll hope that was the problem. I nailed it a couple more times while "white-knuckling" the bars, and had no problems. I've been riding for nearly 30 years and never felt anything like that before... except one time in high school when I hit a large beaver at 60 MPH.

I hit a beaver, but while at a stand still - quite a few times - while in high school. Quite exhilarating.....oh..ooops...never mind.:biglaugh:

I hit a beaver, but while at a stand still - quite a few times - while in high school. Quite exhilarating.....oh..ooops...never mind.:biglaugh:

Reminds me of the most memorable line ever spoken on prime time T.V.
April 6th, 1959, 8:17 E.S.T......
June Cleaver to her husband -
"Don't you think you were a little hard on The Beaver last night, Wally????"

Reminds me of the most memorable line ever spoken on prime time T.V.
April 6th, 1959, 8:17 E.S.T......
June Cleaver to her husband -
"Don't you think you were a little hard on The Beaver last night, Wally????"
You must be a youngster-It was WARD.

Latest posts

Back