running hot

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Ban

Reaction score
My bike seems to run hot in stop and go traffic. Checked the coolant level,it was low. Added coolant, still seems to run on the hot side in stop and go traffic. Could it be the coolant needs to be drained and replaced? Or maybe thermostat or the radiator. Bike is an 01. Bought it in Oct. 2013 it had 2000 miles on it.

I'll bet the coolant age isn't the problem if it's full and the air bled out. Crud in the system has to be eliminated first. This is a common issue with our bikes. Once hot it's a chore for the cooling system to get the temp down. Many install a manual fan switch, others put a different fan sender in to get the fan on early and often. Research the many threads on this issue right here.

Could be few things...there was a recent post with someone having similar issues. Suggestions included testing radiator cap, ensuring fan switch works, flushing radiator (clogged) and inspect/replace thermostat (just dip it in hot water and ensure it's opening all the way). I know some are using manual fan switch and/or something called "Ice".

Also, make sure you have the propper anifreeze mix ratio...if unsure just drain & replace. There's a sticky on how to drain completely using the dial near your oil filter...

If you suspect coolant issue or crud, do a through flushing and use a cleaner (like vinegar)to help remove the crud then flush with water very well.
I heard many times that the gauge will read near the red before the fan turns on.

I have manual fan switch, so I throw it on before it hits red.This brought the temp down. But the two times I used the manual switch The bike stalled while it idled. Shut everything off and it started right up. Not sure whats going on . It runs fine at high speed , 90-125.Fine on 50 mile runs just the stop and go in traffic. I'm draining and flushing everyrthing on tues. Brakes ,clutch,coolant, drive shaft lube and tires. Tires looked fine , but the date on them was 2000. Took a real close look and could see very fine cracks starting to appear. Love this forum, you guys have been a lot of help

I have manual fan switch, so I throw it on before it hits red.This brought the temp down. But the two times I used the manual switch The bike stalled while it idled. Shut everything off and it started right up. Not sure whats going on . It runs fine at high speed , 90-125.Fine on 50 mile runs just the stop and go in traffic. I'm draining and flushing everyrthing on tues. Brakes ,clutch,coolant, drive shaft lube and tires. Tires looked fine , but the date on them was 2000. Took a real close look and could see very fine cracks starting to appear. Love this forum, you guys have been a lot of help

What could be happening with it stalling is the charging system might not be up to snuff at idle, allowing the volts to drop and the bike to stall. Another common issue. First place to start with that is clean the battery terminals, and clean the grounds. Put a volt meter on the battery at idle with the light on, fan going...etc. If the volts are low....IE below 12...follow this thread.

http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=19108

What could be happening with it stalling is the charging system might not be up to snuff at idle, allowing the volts to drop and the bike to stall. Another common issue. First place to start with that is clean the battery terminals, and clean the grounds. Put a volt meter on the battery at idle with the light on, fan going...etc. If the volts are low....IE below 12...follow this thread.

http://vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=19108
I'm seeing the same issue on the 2006 I just bought only 7K Miles. I had a 96 years ago and don't remember this issue although I lived in the country outside of a small town. now live in Indianapolis so lots of stop and go. So is this normal? It was creeping up on the red just never got there.

Even with everything fresh and working properly, they still get hot. Yes very close to the red. Thats why guys do upgrades to help the stock system. Sitting still on hot days will definately make the temp go up. They need air flow.

I’d definitely check the charging system like FM stated, and if you’re not charging it would be a great time to read bill’s sticky on the shindegen r/r upgrade. Also, instead of using a fan switch, I would recommend a cooler temp thermostat along with a cooler temp switch.

In traffic my bike throws off a highly uncomfortable amount of heat. The OEM temp gauge would get right near the red zone before the fan would kick on.

I've installed a quality digital gauge. At about 215 degrees, I feel like the bike is roasting my legs and "other parts". The fan doesn't kick in till just over 220. That's damn hot. But, that's what Yamaha designed it to do.

If when you sit in traffic and your temp gauge gets right up to the beginning of the red zone, then the fan kicks in and brings it down close to the middle, I'd say it's working as designed.

If you feel the need to change what Yamaha did, there are manual fan switches and different thermo switches that can be used to turn the fan on at a lower temp. I think most of this is installed just to put the mind at ease. Guys don't like seeing that needle close to the red zone

I had the same issue with my'95. It would overheat and then stall out when I stopped at red lights and so on. Would not start as if a dead battery, push-to-start if I could get someone to help, if not I had to wait until it cooled off some, then would start right up. All I did was changed out the thermostat and clean coolant. Four years now and no problems since. I do change the coolant every two years now.

Back