Running on 2 cylinders help!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87buickT

Reaction score
New here really need some help, first things first 2006 Vmax with roughly 12k on it, bike sat over the winter and when I went to fire it up you could not rev it or do anything, I pulled the carbs off cleaned all the jets they are free flowing, bowls are getting fuel and drain properly, fuel pump supplying fuel as it should probleme is the left bank will not run, the bike is running on 2 cylinders, I have verified spark on left bank even gone gone through the trouble of pulling the plugs sticking them in the coil boot and having the bike run and verifying spark on plug electrode were good there, I’ve swapped plugs from left bank to right probleme still persists on left bank. While running I can see fuel going down throats of carbs, plenty of compression on the 2 dead cylinders, I’m at a serious loss I can add fuel via carb clean and makes no difference, I have also verified spark under load at plug electrode, what could I possibly be missing? It has everything an engine needs to run but flat out won’t run on those 2 cylinders. If I place my hand over the top of the 2 carbs they pull vacuum but no change in how it runs, only thing that I noticed weird is theirs a tiny hole in the top of the carb that draws vacuum if I put my finger over the top left one no vacuum but all others do. Any help would be greatly appreciated

a tiny hole in the top of the carb that draws vacuum

A pic to show us where that is.

Any chance critters made a nest in the exhaust?

No critters in exhaust the left bank carbs the little holes are at the 12 ocklock position and right bank carbs the 6 ocklock position

Attachments

• 1BFEC2D4-23EE-4631-BF05-176001FDF1EA.jpeg
    1BFEC2D4-23EE-4631-BF05-176001FDF1EA.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 27
That is correct yes....sorry not too tech savvy to circle it for you

Update, swapped coils probleme still persists on left bank, measured KV at plug it’s around 25-28. Still stumped here

While running I can see fuel going down throats of carbs, plenty of compression on the 2 dead cylinders, I’m at a serious loss I can add fuel via carb clean and makes no difference, I have also verified spark under load at plug electrode, what could I possibly be missing?
Are you saying that you have the engine running with the air box off and spray carb cleaner into one of the two carbs on the non fitring cylinders the engine does not pick up?

If so, then then its got to be spark surely?
Have you tried brand new spark plugs - ideally the OEM NGK. My understanding is that it's a lot harder for a spark to fire when in a compressed air/fuel mixture that out side the cylinder.

There are inline spark plug testers the fit between the lead and plug they may be worth trying.

One would think spark yes, engine does not pickup with airbox off and spraying directly into carb. Brand new plugs cuz old ones were nasty anyway, and verified spark on plug electrode by pulling plug out and firing bike up to verify and while under load (as much load as i can give it before it tries to die)

It may be time to try Sean's electrical 'HELP!' mail-around box for a replacement ignition box.

Newbie here youll prolly have to explain what that is to me....just pretend im 5yrs old so my simple mind can understand it if ya dont mind

Sean Morley, he of Morley's Muscle, and a supplier of new and used parts, who also builds complete bikes and parts thereof (that's Morley's Muscle), has a box of electrical parts as a kind-of a 'loaner,' you replace parts you suspect are bad, and whatever fixes the bike, you owe him for whatever parts you keep to fix the problem. [email protected] to reach him.

Last edited:
Ill definately give him a shout, and when I find the cure ill be sure to post what the probleme was, Im leaning towards a CDI box being the issue but I dont shotgun parts having spares or "loaners" will be a godsend

Well you need to re-check your typing because I had an email from him today.

I see my error, weird. Went to one2dnax even tho i clicked link provided

Yes, even though I am here too the email is by far and above the best way to reach out to me.

New here really need some help, first things first 2006 Vmax with roughly 12k on it, bike sat over the winter and when I went to fire it up you could not rev it or do anything, I pulled the carbs off cleaned all the jets they are free flowing, bowls are getting fuel and drain properly, fuel pump supplying fuel as it should probleme is the left bank will not run, the bike is running on 2 cylinders, I have verified spark on left bank even gone gone through the trouble of pulling the plugs sticking them in the coil boot and having the bike run and verifying spark on plug electrode were good there, I’ve swapped plugs from left bank to right probleme still persists on left bank. While running I can see fuel going down throats of carbs, plenty of compression on the 2 dead cylinders, I’m at a serious loss I can add fuel via carb clean and makes no difference, I have also verified spark under load at plug electrode, what could I possibly be missing? It has everything an engine needs to run but flat out won’t run on those 2 cylinders. If I place my hand over the top of the 2 carbs they pull vacuum but no change in how it runs, only thing that I noticed weird is theirs a tiny hole in the top of the carb that draws vacuum if I put my finger over the top left one no vacuum but all others do. Any help would be greatly appreciated
If you had your carbs off,they need to be adjusted and syncronized.I just had the same issue.

I don't think so - I think you mistyped it as hovering over the link shows:
View attachment 76450
I click on it and it shows on my email mis-spelled, but it's correct in the post. Go-by what you see, and ignore Loki's keyboard mischief. I'm going to erase the sentence and see what happens re-typed.

Whatever was the case, it works properly in the post #11 now.

Last edited:
Back