Running on 2 cylinders

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85 flyin max

Reaction score
Rode my 85 vmax two or three weeks ago ran fine, was going to take it out the other day now it"s only running on two cylinders, the two cylinders on the right side are the ones that are not firing, it has spark, so I don't know if it's in carburetion or what it is. Thanks for any help!!!

I never drove it, it doesn't matter if it's at idle or if I rev the motor up still runs on 2 cylinders.

i took a spare spark plug and hooked it to the plug wire and spun it over and it's got fire, so i will try your carb cleaning method, Thanks for the help appreciate it!!!!!

dont know about one side firing, but i can get all 4 to get fuel and spark. only the front cyls combust and work. i have been thru the carbs 8 times and nothing. yes all jets and passageways are clear. coils are with in specs. switched caps around and no luck. changed wires no luck. it is definitely in time. checked it for the 4th time. compression is between 165 and 173 on all four cyls. .....anyong have better idea as to what dam gremlin is there and where to look to fix??? waaaayyyyy past the banging my head off the concrete floor..lol

The front coil connections MIGHT be swapped. I know they don't hook up to the coils the way one would assume on the front pair.

I saw this 1st hand a couple of months ago. I went to visit some VMax guys a couple of months ago. Their collective knowledge of VMax's was very high. They thought they might have a bad COP coils and one of them called me to see if I could bring another set over. It turned out front coil connections were swapped.

Gary

He has good firing front ones. My guess is that rear plugs are fouled and/or not gapped properly. Try new ones and make sure they are properly gapped. Also check the choke plungers are working correctly.

My number 3 and number 4 cylinders was doing the samething. Went through the carbs about 8 times as well. All coils have spark. After doing all this number 3 and 4 are firing but 1 and 2 are not. So frustrated so I bought a new cdi box and new pick ups and still have the same problem number 1 and 2 are not firing but have spark. I look down through the air box and can see fuel going to all cylinders.... I don't know what to do but try the shotgun on it. Any advise would be appreciated. The pick up that came in read 200 0lms witch is higher than what the manual shows?

Latest posts

Back