Running on 3 cylinders

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VmaxingPauly

Reaction score
I think that from the start I have been running on 3 cylinders. I finally was able to change my main jets in a 49 stater I bought last October. I went through the bike and had put my Holeshot exhaust from my Cali 05 onto my 49 Stater 05. Was running rich - So I asked for help and it seems to run better leaning the mains out. Now onto my next issue. I started the bike at work tonight and got a strong smell of gas from the exhaust. I pulled the #1 plug wire a the bike did not stumble at all. I test the wire and no spark. Rode the bike home and changed the coil with one from my Cali bike. Still no Spark. I took a voltage tester and there is power to the coil. Bike runs on the other cylinders just fine. Need idea's Gentleman.
Thanks
Paul

I think that from the start I have been running on 3 cylinders. I finally was able to change my main jets in a 49 stater I bought last October. I went through the bike and had put my Holeshot exhaust from my Cali 05 onto my 49 Stater 05. Was running rich - So I asked for help and it seems to run better leaning the mains out. Now onto my next issue. I started the bike at work tonight and got a strong smell of gas from the exhaust. I pulled the #1 plug wire a the bike did not stumble at all. I test the wire and no spark. Rode the bike home and changed the coil with one from my Cali bike. Still no Spark. I took a voltage tester and there is power to the coil. Bike runs on the other cylinders just fine. Need idea's Gentleman.
Thanks
Paul
It is my belief that the TCI grounds the coil to collapse the field and generate the spark. So, no + voltage at the one coil? The others have voltage? Work backward starting on the other side of that coil connector. A test light should do for this. Key on of course. I've got to refresh my memory with a schematic before opening my yap any further.
Steve

Steve, It's coil #1 - The rest 3-4-2 cylinders run and do not skip a beat - I had a t-boost switch on and removed it to see if that was causing a grounding issue that would not allow the coil to fire the cyl. It was not the problem. I am racking my brain - I was think the pick-ups - but if they were bad that would cause a issue for all the cylinders???
Paul

OK - As per Mark - I tested both pick ups on both bikes and passed with flying colors and both coils passed the ohm reading with flying colors.

Check the coil/plug wire for corrosion, etc. Trim back slightly to fresh wire.

Ok - Did the tests that Mark asked of me (coil and pick ups) (Passed) - I changed the Ignitor Box from my 05 Cali and put it in the 05 49 Stater and checked the coil for #1 cylinder and it was now putting out spark. Fired the bike and she has all the power now at throttle command.

Thanks to All responded to help!!!!
Big Thanks to Mark!!!
Paul 4049

Latest posts

Back