Running on 3 cylinders?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dnagmour

Reaction score
So the max runs great but didnt feel 100%. I pulled what I expected to be the suspect plug and started the bike. IT STILL IDLES FINE?! Replaced the plug and pulled another with the same reault. How can it still run (at least at idle) fine with no spark on a cylinder? Confused. What is the best way to verify all 4 cylinders are getting spark and running correctly?

On another note - my supertrapps are noticibly louder on the right side. They are new so the packing shohld be good but there is a very noticible diff in sound from left to right. Anybody else have this problem or is it just me?

So the max runs great but didnt feel 100%. I pulled what I expected to be the suspect plug and started the bike. IT STILL IDLES FINE?! Replaced the plug and pulled another with the same reault. How can it still run (at least at idle) fine with no spark on a cylinder? Confused. What is the best way to verify all 4 cylinders are getting spark and running correctly?

Get a set of spark checkers from Harbor Freight. They're cheap and work great. They go in line with your plug wire/spark plug. You can see spark at cranking or running. Very useful. A little bit of a pain to use with cops.

I would say a carb sync is in order since one side is louder than the other. Thats a good indication one side of the carbs is doing most of the work ideling. Keep the sync gauges hooke up and tune the A/F mixture screws. Its always a good idea to spray some PB Blaster in the A/F screw holes and let them soak a bit, the make sure the blade of the screw driver fits snug in the A/F screw before you attempt to turn them. If you have one A/F screw that is tight, spray more PB in the hole and come back to it later. The last thing you want is a stripped A/F screw with the head of it stripped off.

Get a set of spark checkers from Harbor Freight. They're cheap and work great. They go in line with your plug wire/spark plug. You can see spark at cranking or running. Very useful. A little bit of a pain to use with cops.

I didnt even know they made them. On my way to HF now...

Latest posts

Back