Running rough after a wash

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

88Vmax

Reaction score
I washed the bike 3 days ago and pressure washed it. i know thatsa no no. i didnt hold it close just blowing the wheels out and light on the motor. At the moment it starts fine and runs decent but when im throttling it has a slight miss occasionally with a pop through i think one of the carbs. i hear a back fire in the air box. i put plugs in it today and i dont think it change a lot if any at all. Am i heading in the right direction. i know coils and the cdi box are well protected so i thought about eliminating them from the problem.
I did notice after pulling the wires out that the rubber grommet that protects the plug that can beremoved of the wire was melted on 2 of the cylinders. could this cause arching on the block. And saying that this is not the problem after i fix can i get anymore suggestions..
THANKS
CONCERNED VMAXER

pull the plug wires off and dry the inside of them.,mine just did the same thing.

I like to use dielectric grease in situations like these. Might be overkill but I've had really good luck using it to keep water out of my electrical connections.

Just a thought Bro.

--

Big thing is DO NOT use a pressure washer on them. Bikes are SUPER easy to get water where it isn't meant to be. I use just a hose with no nozzle and trickle water over the bike. Granted my bikes don't get very dirty. I have seen/heard of wheel bearings going to shit in short order because people use pressure washers and get water inside the bearings.

WD-40 is a GREAT way to remove water from fittings. I'd take all connectors apart (including spark plug wires) and spray WD-40 in them and then squirt some dielectric grease into all the connectors to keep the water out next time.

Chris

Big thing is DO NOT use a pressure washer on them. Bikes are SUPER easy to get water where it isn't meant to be. I use just a hose with no nozzle and trickle water over the bike. Granted my bikes don't get very dirty. I have seen/heard of wheel bearings going to shit in short order because people use pressure washers and get water inside the bearings.

WD-40 is a GREAT way to remove water from fittings. I'd take all connectors apart (including spark plug wires) and spray WD-40 in them and then squirt some dielectric grease into all the connectors to keep the water out next time.

Chris

+1...For sure...pressure washers or car wash's....very bad!!

Well, except for the bikini wash deals, they're OK!! :eek:h yeah:

haha. well its all i had at work and i wasnt close but guess it forced water everwhere. even though i was just shooting the wheels. but indeed the plug wires were starting to turn green inside. i bought NGK plugs that are supposed to be direct replacement. and yamaha wanted $32 for a (1) spark plug boot. so i went to honda and bought some NGK boots for a whopping 2.50 each.
Runs like a scoulded dog, whatever that is. ha. but im all set.
thanks for the replies

Back