Running Rough

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt-Max

Reaction score
Evening Massed Brains!

I've done a bit on the Vmax over the last few weeks and sorted a split diagprhagm, seized thermostat and done a full water flush. Got it back up and running and it would get a little lumpy, as luck would have it I was in the dark garage and could make out a spark leaping from the HT cap to the engine casing, so... One set of new caps and a wire trim later I'm feeling confident. Nope. Still the intermittent extra pop in the exhaust as something in one cylinder decides it fancies igniting.

So, replaced the plugs too. Still no improvement.

Took of the filter cover to observe and number 2 wasn't quite right (diaphragm slightly pinched) resolved that. Still nothing.

Disconnected one cap at a time to clarify the cylinder. Defo number 2 giving intermittent pops and backfires, most notably when changing down. So now I'm thinking right, check the spark using a spare plug - all good all round, nothing looking even vaguely dodgy.

Back to the carbs, if I place my palm or a jam jar lid over the inlet for 1 and 4 the bike will conk out. If I put it over 3 it will blow back fuel (wet palm) but manages to keep limping on. If I try to seal off 2 there is nothing.

Could it be a split somewhere causing air to be sucked in past after the carb? Would that be enough to create the pops in the pipe?

Thoughts massively welcomed!

@CaptainKyle Before my ownership certainly and I would imagine it's due. I'm planing a full restoration at some point with engine out etc to get the frame back to its glory days. It's a 1996 with 16k on the clock and many of the parts look original. I'm hoping for a patch up fix for now... Well, that's what I'm hoping for.

@CaptainKyle anyof you guys in Cumbria? Also do you know anyone happy to take on a restoration? It was hard enough getting the engine out of my bandit 1200 solo and the lump in the max looks like a real sod!

@CaptainKyle anyof you guys in Cumbria? Also do you know anyone happy to take on a restoration? It was hard enough getting the engine out of my bandit 1200 solo and the lump in the max looks like a real sod!
I am in Tennessee and Sean is In Kansas . I would do a restoration if I was around. I do lots of work on Vmax's including paint work .

Latest posts

Back