Running twin webers 40 idfs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good but need to work on your launching lol. Someone did one of these probably 15-20 years ago and I never got around to trying it myself. Would love to have the pics for my files if you would want to share? [email protected]

Looks good but need to work on your launching lol. Someone did one of these probably 15-20 years ago and I never got around to trying it myself. Would love to have the pics for my files if you would want to share? [email protected]
I will post some more pictures of the setup stay tuned

Pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 73
Would you email them to me? [email protected]
Have wanted to do this for a long time but never got around to it. As parts get harder to get for these bikes might be a good option. I also debated making a single twin setup with larger throttle bodies (like the 44's) since that would flow more then enough.

Good pics, could you remove the air filters, and show close-ups of the carb-to-VBoost manifolds from different angles?

Sean, I assume you would be using some stand-alone electronic fuel injection box & throttle bodies for that? A return line to the gas tank, and a new fuel pump probably would be needed, I suppose. I don't know enough about electronic fuel injection to know what pressure they run at. Putting O2 sensors in the exhaust to provide readings I assume is how to best tune it.

"Never-mind!" (thanks-to Rosanna Danna Danna) I just saw your other thread.

It appears the carbs are only off .150" per carb from center so all that is needed is a simple tube to flange and rubber connectors will give that much. Clearance of frame would be the problem.

Last edited:
Would you email them to me? [email protected]
Have wanted to do this for a long time but never got around to it. As parts get harder to get for these bikes might be a good option. I also debated making a single twin setup with larger throttle bodies (like the 44's) since that would flow more then enough.

I'd be keen to produce something if you're into it Sean, I have a couple of ideas

Hey Brother prosnap; what size venturies are ya running? I looked em up and all I found for 40idf,s were even numbers to 36. Seems someone would make odd numbers also and go to 40. Did i just not find em?

I'd be keen to produce something if you're into it Sean, I have a couple of ideas
For sure! We have some other projects going too but would be a great product to add to the list!

Doesn't the supercharged kit use a Holley 2-bbl?

I believe the correct carb for the SC kit is a Holley 390 4bbl, dunno if its a DP or not. I've been going back and forth for months with a local guy on a SC kit and thats whats in the boxes. It looks just like others I've seen for sale out of the area.

Some of those Webers and Dells are capable of feeding a pretty feisty small engine, I would not be surprised if a DRLA 48 could feed a stock-ish max by itself.

The idea of the Webers is 1 barrel per cylinder. When you start adding plenums you slow air mass, runners become unequal and all sorts of things start to happen. A throttle bore, runner, valve all reducing in size to increase velocity in air mass. A weber 48 would run a max venturi of 44mm, a very big hole, times two or three.

Last edited:
Good pics, could you remove the air filters, and show close-ups of the carb-to-VBoost manifolds from different angles?

Sean, I assume you would be using some stand-alone electronic fuel injection box & throttle bodies for that? A return line to the gas tank, and a new fuel pump probably would be needed, I suppose. I don't know enough about electronic fuel injection to know what pressure they run at. Putting O2 sensors in the exhaust to provide readings I assume is how to best tune it.

"Never-mind!" (thanks-to Rosanna Danna Danna) I just saw your other thread.

more pics

Attachments

• bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 72
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 71
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 68
  • cable1.jpg
    cable1.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 70
  • mounted.jpg
    mounted.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 69
Man does this make my evil brain begin to wander...

I have a pair of IDF 40s on the shelf. Ran them for a while on my GL1000. It only intrigues me today since I have to go out and pull the OEM rack on my '86 VMax.

Again.

Here's my GL before I reverted to the factory rack.

IMG_5687.JPG

Last edited:
So Prosnap, where do we stand on the conversion? DesertMax why did you go back to stock, performance?

Last edited:
We have two sets we wanted to get tested. The first set was installed but no power increase on the dyno. Wanted to do the second set this last weekend but the event was canceled and no new date has been set.

So Prosnap, where do we stand on the conversion? DesertMax why did you go back to stock, performance?

1) fuel consumption
2) clearance issues would have required scalloping the shelters for air cleaners. 75-77s shelters work better.
3) an annoying off idle bog I wasn't smart enough to cure. Dumped too much money into the setup for not much more than a "wow" factor.

On a straight single choke per port, 40s are on their limit at 130bhp, I've seen 40mm chokes, but they don't work well at low speed, 38s would be better. With vboost shared flow, a 38mm choke, or rather a pair of 38chokes would likely be too big, unless the rest of the engine is modded - cams, valves, exhaust etc?

Back