Rusty Galfer Rotors

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dezeez

Reaction score
I installed a Galfer rear wave rotor this winter and it's getting a fair amount of surface rust just from sitting in my unheated garage. They've never been wet. It's just cosmetic but what the heck, I don't want to have to steel wool my rotor every time there's a bike night. Getting in the cut-outs and wave edges is a real pain. Is this normal? I'm going to email Galfer but I'm sure nothing will come of it.

I might try to powder coat the part of the rotor that doesn't come in contact with the pads. It's a real bummer, man.

I installed a Galfer rear wave rotor this winter and it's getting a fair amount of surface rust just from sitting in my unheated garage. They've never been wet. It's just cosmetic but what the heck, I don't want to have to steel wool my rotor every time there's a bike night. Getting in the cut-outs and wave edges is a real pain. Is this normal? I'm going to email Galfer but I'm sure nothing will come of it.

I might try to powder coat the part of the rotor that doesn't come in contact with the pads. It's a real bummer, man.

I don't have any issues with mine!

I have Galfer Wave rotors all around. They have been on for about 1 1/2 years now. I do not have any rust and my Max also sits in an un-heated garage. I do know that well scuffed disks will rust on the surface that comes in contact with the pads. It is only surface rust and should come off quickly with a short ride and a few applications of the brakes.

If there is rust in places other than the mating surfaces, then there might be other problems. Perhaps you put it away wet? Maybe the condensation in the un-heated garage formed on the rotors, froze, thawed and than ran to other surfaces? I do not know.

I would appreciate you letting us all know how it turns out though.

Best of luck to you.

I have Galfer Wave rotors all around. They have been on for about 1 1/2 years now. I do not have any rust and my Max also sits in an un-heated garage. I do know that well scuffed disks will rust on the surface that comes in contact with the pads. It is only surface rust and should come off quickly with a short ride and a few applications of the brakes.

If there is rust in places other than the mating surfaces, then there might be other problems. Perhaps you put it away wet? Maybe the condensation in the un-heated garage formed on the rotors, froze, thawed and than ran to other surfaces? I do not know.

I would appreciate you letting us all know how it turns out though.

Best of luck to you.

I've never gotten them wet. I only put them on about 6-8 weeks ago. I have less than 100 miles on them so they're not even broken in yet. They arrived in factory packaging from Wild Brothers and my unheated garage is attached to my house and never freezes. It has been a very wet winter and I did have condensation in the garage a couple times but the bike is covered. The surface rust is all over the rotor.

You can tell by the color of the metal that these rotors have more carbon or something than other stainless rotors. I noticed on Galfers website that they mention a new alloy. Might be better for heat dissapation but I'd rather have an alloy that won't rust as easy.

I'm contacting Galfer tech support on Monday to see what they say.

I've never gotten them wet. I only put them on about 6-8 weeks ago. I have less than 100 miles on them so they're not even broken in yet. They arrived in factory packaging from Wild Brothers and my unheated garage is attached to my house and never freezes. It has been a very wet winter and I did have condensation in the garage a couple times but the bike is covered. The surface rust is all over the rotor.

You can tell by the color of the metal that these rotors have more carbon or something than other stainless rotors. I noticed on Galfers website that they mention a new alloy. Might be better for heat dissapation but I'd rather have an alloy that won't rust as easy.

I'm contacting Galfer tech support on Monday to see what they say.

Any word on the stainless? Im looking for new rotors and dont want rust.

Any word on the stainless? Im looking for new rotors and dont want rust.

Once I cleaned off the rust this past spring, the rear rotor hasn't had any rust problems all summer. However, I don't ride in the rain and I don't wash it with a hose or at a car wash. I either use the spray polish/cleaner or a damp sponge. It looks like it was just a storage issue with condensation in the garage over the winter. I do like the looks of the cheap chinese rotors I put on the front better than the Galfer on the back. No issues with braking performance but I don't really push the Max very hard. I have another bike for that, one that has a real suspension.:rofl_200:

Back