Sad day for Mr Max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invalidsession

Reaction score
I went to help a mate of mine today, he had lost a muffler from his Virago on the highway and was trying to install a pair of Harley slip ons to replace the busted stuff. He's on a very strict budget and the bits were free :). I parked Max behind sign stand in the front of the repair lot he was working from. Way away from the entry and exit points when along comes a red Chevy Blazer with a female pilot. She actually had to drive past my parked bike and pull into the parking slot, can't have missed it surely ? Apparently she did. Despite the fact that the bike was in clear sight behind and to her left the cow managed to reverse into it and knock it over in her haste to get to McDonalds. Damage list so far : Messed up left hand radiator shroud (contact area) busted right front indicator and mirror, busted throttle grip,scuffed right foot peg, brake lever has contacted and scuffed the engine housing, broken front brake lever, Kerker muffler is damaged as is the seat trim and the right air air scoop. The handlebars are also bent. Most of this stuff is custom aftermarket. My insurance is solid but how the hell do you appraise the cost of repairs ? One new turn signal assembly won't match the others, will painting the engine cover match the other engine paint ? The list goes on and on. Your thoughts and wisdom will be appreciated as always. I almost forgot, my Shoei GRV helmet was hanging from the handlebars and it's scuffed down down to the kevlar. Not a good day :(

Chris.

I hope you can get it sorted out in your favor. This is what I dred about customizing bikes, cars or anything. That when it's damaged you don't get the value out of it and might not be able to find the matching parts again.

Sorry to hear that, it really sucks.
What did the driver have to say?

"Sorry, I was in a hurry to get dinner from McDonalds". I kid you not, It'd be funny if she had bumped into my Range Rover but the bike ? Damn, It's amazing what a hit and a topple over can do. Wrecked my weekend. I was supposed to be riding out with the wife to a bike show tomorrow but we had to cancel.
I suppose it's all a learning curve and she was so apologetic it hurt but dayum, I love this bike and it might be totalled due to the cost of parts. My helmet alone is a $750 replacement. :surprise: Not sure I had that covered but who thinks about that when insuring a bike ?

Chris.

That sucks sorry to hear it. Same type of thing almost happened to my FZ1 at a gas station if it wasn't for me pounding on the idiots back window hard enough to almost break it to get his attention it would have been smashed at the friken gas pump...people are stupid. :bang head:

I've been rear-ended or hit four times in my GMC four-year old pickup which I bought new. Three times I was in it, and got everything taken care-of. The last time, it was Christmas shopping season at Sears, someone backed into me and rabbitted-away, no-one saw it, the perp didn't stick around, I fixed that one out-of-pocket.

The last time I got rear-ended, the woman's excuse to the cop was, "I was applying my make-up!" I was stopped at a red light.

You have to be careful when trying to prevent an accident if you are on-foot, someone could just keep coming and trap you between the vehicles, crushing you. Or, they could maliciously do it and take-off.

if you have good insurance and full coverage you will at least be getting replacement value on stock parts! unless you have some sort of aftermarket waiver on there. ive got close to 40k into my 97 and no normal insurance comany will touch it!! i have to insure it thru an insurance broker-like haggarty or one of the companies who insure classic cars. no where near as cheap as geico, progreesive, farmers, allstate, or any of them, but all your aftermarket parts are insured for replacement value.

Sorry man, you were just warming up to the girl too, right?
Post pics of your broken shit. Most people here can ID the parts by sight and give you a price list for your insurance.

This sort of thing is why I do what nobody likes to do and keep a list of my mods, dates installed, prices, etc. Knowing the total cost of a modded V-Max is scary, but so is an insurance claim for $4k when there's double that in mods on it.

I've been rear-ended or hit four times in my GMC four-year old pickup which I bought new. Three times I was in it, and got everything taken care-of. The last time, it was Christmas shopping season at Sears, someone backed into me and rabbitted-away, no-one saw it, the perp didn't stick around, I fixed that one out-of-pocket.

The last time I got rear-ended, the woman's excuse to the cop was, "I was applying my make-up!" I was stopped at a red light.

You have to be careful when trying to prevent an accident if you are on-foot, someone could just keep coming and trap you between the vehicles, crushing you. Or, they could maliciously do it and take-off.

This is why lane splitting should be legal everywhere. Reduced traffic congestion, and no distracted drivers running up a bikes ass at any given light.

I'm trailering her down to the local Yamaha dealer for a quote today Zack. My insurance has asked for them to photograph the "injuries" and supply a parts and labour quote. I'll see if I can get them to email me a copy of the pictures and will try to post them later.

Chris.

You can't make this shit up can you ? It's astonishing how little attention people pay to their surroundings these days.

Chris.

Sorry about your bike man...that really blows. People are fucking retarded and you have to always be aware of that as a motorcyclist....glad you're ok

I really am sorry to hear about your bike. At least, no one was hurt. From what I've seen, so far, If any community can and will help a member in trouble, it's this one. So, let us know what we can do.

Now, I'll only be on my soapbox for a couple of minutes. I promise... :blahblah:

I guess, every generation says it about those that follow, but...damn...doesn't it seem like priorities are more screwed up than ever?? Unlike the other responders to this thread, I don't believe that woman was stupid/retarded. That would be a better excuse than the truth, which, I'm betting, is that she is just too self-centered and lazy to worry about the potential consequences to others. This is the same kind of person who flies down to the cones of a closed lane in a construction zone, then tries to force his/her way into the line, because his/her time is obviously more important than everyone who was waiting their turn. As for the excessive apologies, I'd like to believe she learned a lesson, but selfishness is a habit that builds up over a lifetime. Odds are she'll be more careful for a few weeks, or a month, and then she'll be right back to worrying more about her hungry belly, her bff's next text, or her make-up, than a pedestrian or motorcyclist. There's only one way to make any real difference with such a person, and that's through consistent, meaningful, personal consequences for all of those 'minor'/everyday abuses, like cutting in line, not bothering with a turn signal, not passing in the left lane, etc. etc.. But the political correctness of our society has turned from protecting against rudeness to enabling it, because we're supposed to make excuses for the behavior, rather than addressing it.

End of rant. Was that more than two minutes? :hmmm: :whistlin:
John

Just got back from the Yamaha dealer, no pictures yet but including a replacement crash helmet @ $500 and an estimated labour cost of $575 the total came out to just under $5000. Roughly $3750 in parts alone :confused2:. Incredible isn't it ? The muffler alone was $1200 for an OEM Yamaha part !!! Luckily I have the original since my bike has had a Kerker on since new and the po gave me all the replaced parts. Next question is do I go back to the original parts or keep them on the shelf and replace the damaged stuff like for like ?
I was never keen on the sound of the Kerker but I do kind of like the look of it on the bike. All the other bits (minus the damaged casing) I can get on line easily enough and install myself.
What are your thoughts fellas ?

Chris.

Man, that really sucks and all over a Fat Burger. Sounds like it may be close to being totaled. That would be FU. But, Buy Back and fix it yourself I guess. I ended up with a $1,000 Ford Explorer 5.0 that way. Good Luck no matter. Dumb people always screw up a good time.

I agree w/Dave, buy it back if they want to total it. Also be sure that if you decide to buy it back that it will come w/a "rebuildable" title. The other kind is 'parts-only,' and cannot be re-registered in your state. If it does end-up 'parts-only' see what ebay has for parts prices and decide if you want to go that route or try to sell it here, but we don't expect to pay ebay prices, cheap s-o-b's we are!:confused2:

Man, that really sucks and all over a Fat Burger. Sounds like it may be close to being totaled. That would be FU. But, Buy Back and fix it yourself I guess. I ended up with a $1,000 Ford Explorer 5.0 that way. Good Luck no matter. Dumb people always screw up a good time.

I really am sorry to hear about your bike. At least, no one was hurt. From what I've seen, so far, If any community can and will help a member in trouble, it's this one. So, let us know what we can do.

Now, I'll only be on my soapbox for a couple of minutes. I promise... :blahblah:

I guess, every generation says it about those that follow, but...damn...doesn't it seem like priorities are more screwed up than ever?? Unlike the other responders to this thread, I don't believe that woman was stupid/retarded. That would be a better excuse than the truth, which, I'm betting, is that she is just too self-centered and lazy to worry about the potential consequences to others. This is the same kind of person who flies down to the cones of a closed lane in a construction zone, then tries to force his/her way into the line, because his/her time is obviously more important than everyone who was waiting their turn. As for the excessive apologies, I'd like to believe she learned a lesson, but selfishness is a habit that builds up over a lifetime. Odds are she'll be more careful for a few weeks, or a month, and then she'll be right back to worrying more about her hungry belly, her bff's next text, or her make-up, than a pedestrian or motorcyclist. There's only one way to make any real difference with such a person, and that's through consistent, meaningful, personal consequences for all of those 'minor'/everyday abuses, like cutting in line, not bothering with a turn signal, not passing in the left lane, etc. etc.. But the political correctness of our society has turned from protecting against rudeness to enabling it, because we're supposed to make excuses for the behavior, rather than addressing it.

End of rant. Was that more than two minutes? :hmmm: :whistlin:
John
Well put. I didn't mean the actual definition of retarded btw :biglaugh:

In Missouri, even self-absorbed cows are supposed to carry liability insurance to pay for the damages they cause to other people's vehicles. Retarded cows are required to carry more.

Latest posts

Back