Saddle bags = Muscle Tourer?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heretic

Reaction score
I just installed some FirstGear Silverstone saddle bags to my 2003 Max. I mounted them under the seat and they do not impede the passenger. I originally had some OLD Chase Harper ones that I was using, but they were fairly small and looked bad. The V-max is not a very 'saddle bag friendly' bike, but it can be done! I moved the turn signals to the license plate surround. I also had to lower the Kerker about an inch to make sure that it didn't hit when the wife and I were both on the bike. During the summer months this bike IS my primary vehicle and to me the saddle bags are mandatory.

DSC00284.JPG

DSC00285.JPG

DSC00286.1.JPG

They look good Howard! Now....sweep your garage please. lol

Mark

I have 2 sets of saddlebags - a small set for daily riding and a large set for touring - both are the vinyl throw over seat style.

For the signal lights, I will mount them to a harley softail aftermarket catseye taillight bracket - remove the stock vmax taillight and license plate bracket and tailight and put this one on.

For the saddlebags, I first riveted a thick plexiglass sheet to the inside back panel of the saddlebags and drilled holes (X2) through them to mount to the bike. For the back part of the bags, I used the original signal light mounting place and used the stalk of the orignal signal lights - I threaded the stalk for the bolt to mount - For the front of the bag, I have a corbin seat and used the seat mounting bolts (enlarged them from M8 to M10 bolts) - therefore the bags are held on by two bolts which makes them easy to change or remove completely.

Mike

Attachments

• taillight.jpg
    taillight.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I have 2 sets of saddlebags - a small set for daily riding and a large set for touring - both are the vinyl throw over seat style.

For the signal lights, I will mount them to a harley softail aftermarket catseye taillight bracket - remove the stock vmax taillight and license plate bracket and tailight and put this one on.

For the saddlebags, I first riveted a thick plexiglass sheet to the inside back panel of the saddlebags and drilled holes (X2) through them to mount to the bike. For the back part of the bags, I used the original signal light mounting place and used the stalk of the orignal signal lights - I threaded the stalk for the bolt to mount - For the front of the bag, I have a corbin seat and used the seat mounting bolts (enlarged them from M8 to M10 bolts) - therefore the bags are held on by two bolts which makes them easy to change or remove completely.

Mike

Thought I would revive this old thread to give an update now that I put the saddlebags back on.

Pictures are with my small bags, also have a large set from a vstar 1100 that also bolts on and uses virago 1100 saddlebag supports.

:cheers: Mike

Attachments

• P1010013.jpg
    P1010013.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 201
  • P1010015.jpg
    P1010015.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 201
  • P1010023.jpg
    P1010023.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 211
  • P1010018.jpg
    P1010018.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 245
Thought I would revive this old thread to give an update now that I put the saddlebags back on.

Pictures are with my small bags, also have a large set from a vstar 1100 that also bolts on and uses virago 1100 saddlebag supports.

:cheers: Mike

Hey Mike, they look pretty good on the bike. They flow nice with the lines of the bike. :thumbs up:

Hey Mike, they look pretty good on the bike. They flow nice with the lines of the bike. :thumbs up:

Thanks Buster! I ride mostly highway up here in Northern Ontario and when I do, I definitely need saddlebags. Will post a pic later when she's all set up for long distance riding - tour tank, large saddlebags, tank bag, etc....

I like to be able to bolt them on - more secure and easy to remove them.

Mike

Here's what I came up with. Nelson-Riggs nylon bags that can be permanetly mounted under the seat or the easily removable method of over the seat. Either way they are held in place with plastic buckles.
They originally came with a plastic siffener that I didn't think worked too well so I made my own stiffener out of 1/8th aluminum. I also need to get some virago saddle bag bracket to hold them off the rear springs.

Attachments

• IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 167
Necro thread alert, does anyone have an answer for this? What year virago brackets fit the gen 1 VMax? I'm looking for a bolt on saddlebag support solution.

Necro thread alert, does anyone have an answer for this? What year virago brackets fit the gen 1 VMax? I'm looking for a bolt on saddlebag support solution.
this is what I bought to mount some soft bags that have a hard plastic backing piece.

www.customcruisers.com

Yamaha V-Max Saddlebag Supports Chrome Magnum
Yamaha V-Max Saddlebag Supports Motorcycle Accessory

www.customcruisers.com

later,bill

I've been pondering turning my 15 vmax into muscle tourer , either that or adding a kawasaki concour to the stable, f.j.r 13 is my first choice. But cheap they are not.
I like the optimal carbone
Set up. Just not sure if I'll get burned.

I've been pondering turning my 15 vmax into muscle tourer , either that or adding a kawasaki concour to the stable, f.j.r 13 is my first choice. But cheap they are not.
I like the optimal carbone
Set up. Just not sure if I'll get burned.
I do the sport touring thing with my 09. I started working on a mounting system for hard bags for the Gen2. I'll be ordering some parts soon to get the basic position done first. It will be a couple of months, but I think it can be done. I also did the 6 gal tank. A PIA but nice going 150 mi before looking for gas.

Some of the best shaped bags for a max. But i hate the design or detail on the bag sides. Just plain black would be perfect. I will be looking for those in plain black now. Like the mounting info. Thats what we need!

Mine came with the OEM saddlebags and a tail rack. I added a tail bag, but it all seemed a bit limited for carrying stuff. So I bought a Goldwing 1800!
Now you have to buy a bike named after your city.

Mine came with the OEM saddlebags and a tail rack. I added a tail bag, but it all seemed a bit limited for carrying stuff. So I bought a Goldwing 1800!
Same here, 03 Goldwing for road trips, Vmax 2016 for picking on the young punks on crotch rockets. Old guy got to have some fun.

Amazon special.

Attachments

• IMG_20210713_093022511.jpg
    IMG_20210713_093022511.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20210625_184537979_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210625_184537979_HDR.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210625_191843826_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210625_191843826_HDR.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20210625_191857550_HDR.jpg