saddlebags???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srx2002

Reaction score
Is anyone out there using a soft saddlebag ( nylon type ) that fits well on a max without having to relocate the signals? I guess the throw over would be the type I'm looking at, since it can be lodged over the passenger seat.

If anyone can recommend a manufacturer with the exact part number/ type I need .....it would be GREATLY appreciated.

P.S going on a trip soon and don't have the time to order and then have to re-order due to a fitment problem. To hear from someone with a set-up like this already would be greeeeaaaatttt!!!

Thanks in advance!

You will find it very hard to find soft bags to fit w/o relocating the signals. If you found some that small they would be about worthless I imagine. The very first thing I did to my max was to mount the Chase Harper bags that I have had for years, couldn't live w/o them. I bought some cheapy LEDs and mounted them to the plastic brake light surround. Its not pretty, but it works. Sorry for the crappy pic, all the good pics I have taken are with the bags off. I will do something different in the future, but there are other things on the list. I really like the turn signals integrated license plate frames. Good luck and be sure to post pics if you ever get some mounted.

Brake calipers0008.jpg

I thought about modifying some synthetic bags, but they were gona be way too small for any real carrying purposes. Then while at Goodwill I found a set of leather throw over saddlebags in "like new" condition and picked them up for $35.00.

Since I work with leather anyway, I just shortened up the strap between the bags and now I throw them over my corbin seat pillion area, tie the front of each to the frame with a small piece of cord on each side and bunjee them to the rear grab rail. They are hard enough to be pretty much self supporting, they ride just in front of (butted against a bit) the stock rear turn signals and do not interfere with the passengers legs. No long trips with them yet, but for in town they are easy on, easy off.
:rocket bike:

I thought about modifying some synthetic bags, but they were gona be way too small for any real carrying purposes. Then while at Goodwill I found a set of leather throw over saddlebags in "like new" condition and picked them up for $35.00.

Since I work with leather anyway, I just shortened up the strap between the bags and now I throw them over my corbin seat pillion area, tie the front of each to the frame with a small piece of cord on each side and bunjee them to the rear grab rail. They are hard enough to be pretty much self supporting, they ride just in front of (butted against a bit) the stock rear turn signals and do not interfere with the passengers legs. No long trips with them yet, but for in town they are easy on, easy off.

:th_signs60::ttiwwp::th_signs132: <<<<I always wanted to do that to someone. But really, lets see those pics.:thumbs up:

I have the yamaha branded chase harper saddlebags and tank strapon/ sissy bar mountable set too. I used the sissy bar mounted portion until I got my tank bag. I have not had the occasion to use the saddle bags yet.

Here are the pics of my 99 with the throw over saddle bags. Only the blue bungee is attaching the bags to the rear. The red ones I use when strapping on another bag on the pillion. Made a five hour run across the Texas Hill Country ranging from stop and go to 85 mph into a stiff headwind, and they worked like they were welded to the machine. No complaints on my end.

Attachments

• today 003.jpg
    today 003.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 101
  • today 004.jpg
    today 004.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 96
  • today 005.jpg
    today 005.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 106
  • today 007.jpg
    today 007.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 80
[quote=Lordofwyr;21726]Here are the pics of my 99 with the throw over saddle bags. Only the blue bungee is attaching the bags to the rear. The red ones I use when strapping on another bag on the pillion. Made a five hour run across the Texas Hill Country ranging from stop and go to 85 mph into a stiff headwind, and they worked like they were welded to the machine. No complaints on my end.

They really look good, and very servicable...like the fact that you don't/didn't have to mod the turn sigs. My question ...can you still carry a passenger with them in place? Looks like from the 'above looking down' shot, that it might be a problem for one to utilize the passenger pegs when the bags are in place.

Thanks, Philthy

I had my daughter, Spawnette, try the seating arrangement and she said it was fine. The bags turn back as they go down to the bottom, allowing her feet and calves enough room. My wife hates riding, so that is not an issue, and usually I am solo anyway - thus the Max and not a bomber like a Goldwing......

Of course, if I see a lovely and buxom lass in need of a ride... well, I will always find a way! :biglaugh:

Thanks for that info mah' fren'...

I want to add some leather 'throw overs' like that to mine soon...hopefully without making any mods to my ride. But if "Shewhomustbeobeyed" can't get in HER rides fairly often, it gets real uncomfortable around here! When the weather turns a little bad now n' then, it's SHE who bitches the loudest!

We did a nice lil' run up n' back GulfCoast cruise yesterday, along with family and friends... just doesn't get much better!

Take care... Yer Uncle Philthy loves ya!

You're the second man I know married to that woman - She Who Must be Obeyed - he just calls her SWMBO - but he rides a Triumph, and her bitching is about HIS riding. She wants no part of it. And a happier man he is for that !!!

i bought some coretech bags not too bad looking.......

Attachments

• coretech 004 [].jpg
    coretech 004 [].jpg
    144 KB · Views: 78
  • coretech 005 [].jpg
    coretech 005 [].jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 75
I use Willie & Max Compact Slant Saddlebags. http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?
skuId=&store=Main&catId=407&productId=p505932&leafCatId=40710&mmyId=

Fits beneath the rear seat with stock lights. Not the biggest bags, but big enough for me & they fit with no mods.

Willie & Max part number is SB70705
Dennis Kirk number is 505932

I'm at work now, so sorry, no pics available.

Back