Safe method to buy a vehicle states away? Need to cover my ass

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
I want to buy a Van in florida. Iv already sent $500 cashiers check and seller removed the craigslist ad. Now I have to travel to drive the Van back home, but when I called my counties treasurer, they recommended I get the title and get plates here in Iowa Before I go. County told me I cant travel across states with a "IN TRANSIT" sign in the back window. :ummm:

The seller agreed to sending the signed title after receiving half the money for the Van.

How do I protect myself from getting screwed here? I mean, he could turn around and say he has no idea who, or what I'm talking about after he's got my money in hand..

Thanks

Hey that would work Kyle..:biglaugh:

Seriously.. The Escow service I found wanted more than the bus ticket to hold the money.

I dont want to let my guard down even though the guy seems trust worthy. I found his business online. Seems legit..

I thought I was over the transport hurdle since I'm going down in person. Maybe I just need to plan on spending a day in Florida to obtain temporary plates? Shit I don't know..

Intent to purchase agreement

Could always bring a valid tag with you from another vehicle and roll the dice on getting pulled over. The drive from FL is fairly uneventful except for Gainesville, Moscow Mills, and Hannibal those three seem to always have a police presence and I have the speeding tickets to prove it xD

Even you were to get pulled over if you have a signed title in hand with bill of sale I think the cop would let you go. Just be honest and explain the situation if necessary. The fact you will have a valid tag on the vehicle in this scenario will likely get you all the way to Iowa without any issues.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I would. Not mind. Going To get it maybe i could take a bus if there was not a way to get a bike in it

I appreciate the gesture kyle. But you don't need to do that just because Dave couldn't get anyone to bid on the shipping/transport job. It was my idea to lowball it at 750 and then raised it to 850 last Wednesday.
I did get one firm quote of 950 to ship. But the bus ticket is only 100 and that cummins will get 20 mpg so Id spend less than half for shipping and I want/need a road trip anyway.

You would be faced with the same problem I have after taking ownership.. Plates and registration to drive it to Iowa legally.

Could always bring a valid tag with you from another vehicle and roll the dice on getting pulled over. The drive from FL is fairly uneventful except for Gainesville, Moscow Mills, and Hannibal those three seem to always have a police presence and I have the speeding tickets to prove it xD

Even you were to get pulled over if you have a signed title in hand with bill of sale I think the cop would let you go. Just be honest and explain the situation if necessary. The fact you will have a valid tag on the vehicle in this scenario will likely get you all the way to Iowa without any issues.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

A plate from another car?

I wondered about that. Long ways to drive illegally even if it was insured.

I would get the Vin# from it and put insurance on it. Then do as Tex suggested and take the current plates from one of your cars with you. With title in hand and insurance, I would think you could only get a ficticious plate ticket from a cop. No big deal.

Tell him to post it on Ebay with a buy-it-now at the price you agreed. You will then log-on to EBay and "buy-it-now."

eBay protects you against fraud. You will obviously agree to the seller to pay him the eBay fees charged. It might cost you $100 , but at least you'll be covered. This is the way I purchased my V-max that I found on Craigslist from out of state.

County told me I cant travel across states with a "IN TRANSIT" sign in the back window. :ummm:

Thanks
You might want to make sure this is correct. I have purchased cars out of state (from a dealer) and drove back to NY with a temp plate and papers in the glove compartment.

Tell him to post it on Ebay with a buy-it-now at the price you agreed. You will then log-on to EBay and "buy-it-now."

That's not a bad idea but would add another $125 I think.

Iv asked the seller to send me a receipt for my $500 down payment with the van information and our agreement included on it.

I guess I would feel comfortable at that point to send half the money and then he would send the title so I can have plates and insurance before I go get it.

Is that to much to ask from the seller? I'm worried hes going to get fed up with me and sell it locally easier.

I would go pick it up. You can get insurance beforehand and just drive it back with the title in the glove compartment. If you have insurance, then the owner should agree to leave his plates on it and you can FedEx to him when you get home. Just make sure you have insurance. I wouldn't send half the money without protection, but that's just me.

The offer is still open if you would like to me go make the transition in person. I do not have any intrest taking it to iowa but I could bring it to my place & you could still have your road trip.

The offer is still open if you would like to me go make the transition in person. I do not have any intrest taking it to iowa but I could bring it to my place & you could still have your road trip.

It's to bad your not closer to melbourne Kyle. Sure, Id appreciate and trust you to buy it for me, but the van isn't set up to haul your bike back.

Back