safety switches

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven May

Supporting Member
Reaction score
is there a low oil pressure safety switch on the '85 vmax? Probably not since there is no oil pressure at startup, duh...I just took my bike back from the shop just because they put 1 hour into it in the last week ...having starter circuit issues. I got the bike home and crossed terminals on the solonoid, and she started right up...noticed the oil light on. Added oil and restarted but the light stays on. Maybe I need to change the filter? I really cant identify any of the starter circuit components besides the starter switch and the ignition..I understand there is a relay somewhere? Gonna put it on my lift and probably tear up way too much, Im afraid...

There is no oil pressure light. There is a LEVEL light that once the oil is in the pan then the only time it will light up is during cranking (so you can verify the bulb is good). The connection for it and the neutral light is the only pair you can mix up on the bike. SO, if it comes on and off during shifting to/from Neutral then you have them swapped around lol.

There is no oil pressure light. There is a LEVEL light that once the oil is in the pan then the only time it will light up is during cranking (so you can verify the bulb is good). The connection for it and the neutral light is the only pair you can mix up on the bike. SO, if it comes on and off during shifting to/from Neutral then you have them swapped around lol.
Thanks one2dmax, I haven't been into that wiring, so hopefully thats ok...curious why the oil light stays on after starting...thats new...and the fact that It comes on and off with the kill switch...thinking maybe a short? I think it was also coming on and off when I pulled the clutch...I've started removing everything in the way of the wiring/harness, and am staring at diagrams long enough to make my head hurt. where is that level switch at? maybe it's got debris on it or something. The oil level is right but it's still on, and it makes me nervous. But I guess from your response there is no safety switch related to oil ,so I guess I can rule that out as a culprit. Thanks for the help...I still need a seat, by the way. How do I do that?

The level switch is in the bottom of the oil pan. Not sure you can get it out with the exhaust on? You can unplug it and check the harness to see if there is a ground to that circuit. The switch works by completing the path to ground for the light. Email me at [email protected] and we can sort out the seat situation.

Sean

Latest posts

Back