Safety Warning! Radiator Protector

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalbo

Reaction score
I would like to warn any other Vmax riders that have a stainless steel radiator protector like mine. Yesterday, I came very close to having a serious accident. I was riding with my wife on the back when I rode over a small, but steep dip in the road, I was travelling at about 30mph. As I hit the dip, the front suspension compressed and the rear black plastic part of the front fender was jammed into the stainless radiator protector. This locked the front suspension in its fully compressed state. and also made it impossible to steer. With the suspension locked the bike went into a serious front wheel wobble, being only able to travel straight ahead. Only quick thinking and 40 years of experience allowed me to bring the bike to a safe stop. A less experience rider may well have not been able to do so. We got off the bike and the reduction in weight allowed the front fender to be forcibly released, tearing a piece of the fender at the same time
The shape of the cut-outs in the radiator cover are an almost perfect fit to hold the front fender and in my opinion are a serious design fault. Today I have cut 1.5 inch off the rear of the fender to make sure this never happens again.
You can see in the photos where the grill has been bent and the damage to the fender. If I had been travelling any faster than 30mph I would have lost control completely.

Attachments

• grill.jpg
    grill.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 91
  • grill2.jpg
    grill2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 92
I would like to warn any other Vmax riders that have a stainless steel radiator protector like mine. Yesterday, I came very close to having a serious accident. I was riding with my wife on the back when I rode over a small, but steep dip in the road, I was travelling at about 30mph. As I hit the dip, the front suspension compressed and the rear black plastic part of the front fender was jammed into the stainless radiator protector. This locked the front suspension in its fully compressed state. and also made it impossible to steer. With the suspension locked the bike went into a serious front wheel wobble, being only able to travel straight ahead. Only quick thinking and 40 years of experience allowed me to bring the bike to a safe stop. A less experience rider may well have not been able to do so. We got off the bike and the reduction in weight allowed the front fender to be forcibly released, tearing a piece of the fender at the same time
The shape of the cut-outs in the radiator cover are an almost perfect fit to hold the front fender and in my opinion are a serious design fault. Today I have cut 1.5 inch off the rear of the fender to make sure this never happens again.
You can see in the photos where the grill has been bent and the damage to the fender. If I had been travelling any faster than 30mph I would have lost control completely.

Yep, had a friend with a skull grill insert have the exact same scenario and went off the road on his (and didn't crash thankfully). That grill insert came off pretty quickly after that!

Glad you kept it upright, that had to be a pucker-factor 9.5.

Time for some progressives up front and a stock radiator guard. Never enough warnings of safety potential safety issues, it's the first time I have heard of this.

That plastic part of the fender is pretty strong eh!

Good to know though. Thanks for sharing fella

Here's the grill that bit my buddy Kevin. He put it back on after he put the inverted front end on the bike which raised it up some (it was very low before).

Attachments

• Kevins Max 2.jpg
    Kevins Max 2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 70
  • Shannon 117.jpg
    Shannon 117.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 59

One question that I have, are the forks pushed up in the triple trees any (to make them sit lower) and how much air are you running in the forks, or do you have aftermarket springs?

I have run my aftermarket grill for 9 years without issue and I had my forks lowered 2" internally for eight of those years. Raising your forks in the triple trees brings the fender/ radiator closer than does the fork spring modification it seems. Here's a pic of 2" lowered:
IMG_1258.jpg

Current setup is lowered 1" and there is plenty of clearance between fender and radiator shown here and compressed cornering on the Dragon.
IMG_1640.jpg thumb_1403650549DAVE6099.jpg

One question that I have, are the forks pushed up in the triple trees any (to make them sit lower) and how much air are you running in the forks, or do you have aftermarket springs?

Everything is 'stock'. forks are in the correct position in the triple trees.

I have run my aftermarket grill for 9 years without issue and I had my forks lowered 2" internally for eight of those years. Raising your forks in the triple trees brings the fender/ radiator closer than does the fork spring modification it seems. Here's a pic of 2" lowered:
View attachment 55271

Current setup is lowered 1" and there is plenty of clearance between fender and radiator shown here and compressed cornering on the Dragon.
View attachment 55269 View attachment 55270

I specifically mentioned that I had my wife on the back..this was a contributing factor. I have never had a problem riding solo. The additional weight caused the front forks to compress almost fully.

I specifically mentioned that I had my wife on the back..this was a contributing factor. I have never had a problem riding solo. The additional weight caused the front forks to compress almost fully.

How much air were you running in them? You can increase the air pressure to make them stiffer. I believe max is 15 lbs.

How much air were you running in them? You can increase the air pressure to make them stiffer. I believe max is 15 lbs.

To be honest, I've never checked the pressure in the forks. I haven't had the bike that long and it's 'as I got it'. I will check today and if necessary I'll add some air. I believe a foot pump is best, don't want to risk blowing the seals with an air line. I've read online that 12 lbs is max?? I may try 6 lbs and see how that feels. They're soft at the moment and I'm guessing 0 lbs?

There is only one valve on the left side...I'm assuming that they are linked? The manual has each fork as independent, each with its own valve? Mine is an '86.

A full hard bottom regardless of the fork settings can cause this if the conditions are just right. Steering in the right (or wrong) direction, design of the grill, and of course the bump.

Sean

To be honest, I've never checked the pressure in the forks. I haven't had the bike that long and it's 'as I got it'. I will check today and if necessary I'll add some air. I believe a foot pump is best, don't want to risk blowing the seals with an air line. I've read online that 12 lbs is max?? I may try 6 lbs and see how that feels. They're soft at the moment and I'm guessing 0 lbs?

Thanks for sharing this. It might be time for a spring upgrade. +1 to air check in the forks. Raise the wheel off the ground when checking air pressure or adjusting. I'm glad you and your wife didn't get hurt.
Steve-o

Latest posts

Back