Sat for 2 years, won't run...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firewrench

Reaction score
Thought you might like to see what sitting for a couple of years will do for ya. I found this in the air cleaner on a 1983 V-65 Magna. Fully 2/3 of is completely blocked off. Lot's of nuts in the lower air cleaner box too. In addition, the clutch was dry as a bone, cleaned the master reservoir and bled it and it came back. Ordering kits for the carbs, all the rubber o-rings on the feed lines are toast. She should be back up and killing Sportsters soon.

Attachments

• 100_0581.jpg
    100_0581.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_0582.jpg
    100_0582.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 54
Thought you might like to see what sitting for a couple of years will do for ya. I found this in the air cleaner on a 1983 V-65 Magna. Fully 2/3 of is completely blocked off. Lot's of nuts in the lower air cleaner box too. In addition, the clutch was dry as a bone, cleaned the master reservoir and bled it and it came back. Ordering kits for the carbs, all the rubber o-rings on the feed lines are toast. She should be back up and killing Sportsters soon.

Been there.......seen that..........so many times in the past....

ive seen those before:rofl_200:.

do yureself and the bike a favor and dump that UNI filter in the nearest bin!! pure trash!! it does not fit right.

i had a 85 v65.....and she ran best with the stock type filter.

if yu take the carbs off...b prepared 4 sum action getting them put back home:rofl_200: spray sum wd40 inside the rubber intake boots to help them slip in...

i miss my ol v65!! great bike !!

Attachments

• normal_magna_2.jpg
    normal_magna_2.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 36

You really need to stop storing your nuts in the air cleaner, they rattle MUCH better when stored in the gas tank :biglaugh:

check the seat:rofl_200:[ does it have any padding left?] also check all the hoses and wires. for some reason chipmunks and rats love to eat that stuff!!!:ummm::biglaugh::rofl_200:

She should be back up and killing Sportsters soon.

Careful about what sportsters you go out and pick on. My friend has a 883 Custom that we warmed up this winter. Its a sleeper. Other than AC, pipes, and extra chrome it looks stock. Over the winter we rebuilt it to 1250cc. 575cams, heads completely redone and some other engine work by an independent shop that does only harleys. Supposedly pretty well known and I have seen articles in some magazines where they rebuild engines at his shop (mega-flo). He did all the hard stuff, we just bolted it together. His combo has been tested on other bikes and put out over 100hp with milder heads than what he has. He is still waiting to dyno his to see the truth.

Anyways, yesterday we went out after work for a 30 minute blast before I had to go and pick up the kids. I could not believe the difference from last year. He can run pretty hard. I was not "ready" to go against him and one time he pulled me for a bit. I didn't catch up till 4th gear. That only happened once though. I was around 4K in first going easy and he was ready but I wasn't. He hammered it and flew by me. When I hammered it, it took a couple secs for max to spool up to vboost range, after that I reeled him in pretty quick.

Every other run when I was expecting it, he got smacked down. But when I look in the mirror he was fairly close. Maybe 5 bike lengths or so till I hit 4th. By the time I hit 4th gear though the gap grows much more. At 140 he wasn't even a blip on the rear view radar. We ran them quite a few times yesterday and his bike is a whole new animal. I definitely have to try to beat him now. Before it was a joke. Its more fun this way.

We switched bikes about 15 or 20 mins into the ride. I was going the road and did a quick romp onto 120. About 1 mile later I had oil all over my boots. Pulled over and we look at the bike to see that a line from his oil cooler blew right off the fitting. He just redid the hose before we left. It had a hole in it from the clamp being too tight. Now, the clamp was too loose and it blew right off. Oh well, I was 2 miles from home. Ran home and back real quick. Gave him some 20/50 yamalube so it would run a little better and we were back on the road in no time! Kids still picked up by 6PM.

It was a fun

I pulled the carbs last night and you are correct sir, what a mess. I particularly like how all the synch springs go boing, boing boing on the floor. I think it's going to be a bich getting it back together. Oh well, I charge by the hour so.... it is what it is.
FWIW, I like how Yamaha does it so much better with the brackets holding the carbs in position.
p.s. anybody got a manual for this beast? I need float level measurements and valve clearance numbers.
Thanks
FW

Is it your bike? If so, I'd get the top oiling kit for it straight away. Those things eat cams if you don't. Holeshot used to sell them and probably still do.

Chris

Back